Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I remember reading somewhere that these gaskets are no longer available and that alot of places recomend using CX 500 gaskets, now to me this sounds a bit dodgy seeing that there would be a gap around the top of the cylnder creating carbon build up which inturn would lead to heat spots and pre-ignition, am i right in this presumption?

I heard somewhere that a company in Vietnam or Korea could make these to order but i cant seem to find anything on the net, have any of you lads 'n'lasses heard of this?

Thanks in advance

MrB

·
Registered
8,423 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Yes, there is a firm in Bangkok Thailand that will make gaskets for any purpose. I do not recall the name at the moment, I will research more and get back to you. There is also a firm in America that make full copper gaskets for about 25-30 USD each, but they both require a pattern to work from.

If yours are totally blown, I have a source here in Chiang Mai that has some 'used' head gaskets. I have a pair from him that look decent but I would only use used gaskets as a last resort. If you would like, I can get a pair for you used, I think they were about USD30.00. PM me if you are interested. I have a friend returning to the USA shortly who can bring and mail to you in about 2 week or another friend who will not be back for about 3 months (or when money runs out, whichever comes first!!!). EDIT: But then I see you are in the UK. I can search for Brits returning if you desire.

Regards from Thailand

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kin hell, just wrote loads just for my connection to fcuk up, cheers for the replies, just joined the Aus site and been directed to a site in NZ, hope they can help.

Still struggling get the cow started, new Batt, new Air filter ...moo still dont wanna take...any ideas people?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Shep,

I need the head gasket because i know that the guy that had the bike before me replaced the original with a gasket from a CX500, and as im having probs starting her a proper gasket set would be good to eliminate any lack in compression .....I have no clue as what i am doing so just need to get the dahm thing back to spec

All the best

MrB

PS . All i have tried is a new Batt...and i run it flat trying to start it.....will post pics of the old moo shortly

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fcuk me....what have i ended up with ? what a minefield lol.....looks like i'm gonna have some fun with this one....boo hoo....I want my ole Z650 back...HELP!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That good news to my ears Shep, I will try to get her started tonight after work and take some pics, and hopefully a mates coming round to get the bike to his workshop to do the carbs, right hand diaphram and the valve clearances (What ever that is lol)...then hopefully she will start 1st time every time, then i can put a MOT on it and get riding..Yippee!

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
I think it having 500 head gaskets may be a bit of a red herring

as regards it not starting myself.

Its true that because of the bore size difference there will be about a 2.5mm gap

left by 500 head gaskets but it wouldnt be my first suspect if it wouldnt go.

the Gl400's have TI igntion and I'd do a systematic test of the system and check

you're getting fuel first before whipping heads off

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I think it having 500 head gaskets may be a bit of a red herring

as regards it not starting myself.

Its true that because of the bore size difference there will be about a 2.5mm gap

left by 500 head gaskets but it wouldnt be my first suspect if it wouldnt go.

the Gl400's have TI igntion and I'd do a systematic test of the system and check

you're getting fuel first before whipping heads off
agreeed plus one

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK, Done the valve clearances , refitted the carbs properly and all nicely balanced, replaced the righthand vacume diaphram, the old cow now starts.......I also noticed a seized in pilot emmulsion tube in carb number 2( Right hand side )Now for the compression test...oh dear only 60 & 65 PSI on each of the cylinders..............I think the chap that rebuilt the poor girl has dropped a boo boo somewhere, so i think the heads gotto come off....will probably find an old 500 gasket with hemmoroid cream as a sealent.

Any other clues as to why the PSI is so low? dont really want to strip the whole thing down unless the rings have gone, but there is no smoke from the exaust so i dont think its them.

I look forwards to your wealth of experiance and knowledge to put me in the picture.

Regards

MrB

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
OK, Done the valve clearances , refitted the carbs properly and all nicely balanced, replaced the righthand vacume diaphram, the old cow now starts.......I also noticed a seized in pilot emmulsion tube in carb number 2( Right hand side )Now for the compression test...oh dear only 60 & 65 PSI on each of the cylinders..............I think the chap that rebuilt the poor girl has dropped a boo boo somewhere, so i think the heads gotto come off....will probably find an old 500 gasket with hemmoroid cream as a sealent.

Any other clues as to why the PSI is so low? dont really want to strip the whole thing down unless the rings have gone, but there is no smoke from the exaust so i dont think its them.

I look forwards to your wealth of experiance and knowledge to put me in the picture.

Regards

MrB
how did you do the commpression test?

engine.......warm or cold

throttle position...closed....half...or full

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Bandit, Test was done warm on full throttle, dry & wet test, reading elsewhere might be the rings stuck....might need to soak them to loosen them up

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Hi Bandit, Test was done warm on full throttle, dry & wet test, reading elsewhere might be the rings stuck....might need to soak them to loosen them up
well,you know what your doing Mr B.

those readings are quite low.

could be the rings.in an earlier post you did the valves,mmm

try soaking the rings,like you say,if your pots will hold it.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Im thinking it might be easier and a lot cheaper just to get a 500 lump and slap that in, at least getting parts wouldnt cause any headaches.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
just been thinking.

60 and 65 are very close.while im not saying the test was performed incorrect,the figures do look that way.

a bit of a coincidence

what should it be for the 400...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.