Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put non-oxi gas in all the bikes last week. Put Sta-bil in them last night. Ran out for the GL500, so took the GL650 to get some more. Road them along the Mississippi River Parkway to mix the gas and stabilizer.
I found, even the smaller Spitfire windshield does a lot to protect you from the cold wind.

Today, I'll ride to St. Paul on the Interceptor to a friend's guitar shop. Maybe see another brother there who rides H/Ds.

Which bike do I like best?
The one I am riding!

Attachments

Reactions: soggz68

·
Super Moderator
14,895 Posts
Putting ethanol free fuel in a bike for storage is pretty much a wasted effort unless you drain the stuff with ethanol in it from the tank first, not that I think it is as good as just leaving the tank empty.
If you aren't going to drain the tanks you should at least turn the petcocks off and drain the carbs because fuel will still evaporate from them.

BTW: You already know that I have gotten ready for winter by finishing up a couple of small projects on Eccles (did you see the new LED turn signals that don't require any flasher in the Never Ending Build thread?) and moving the GoldWing into the shed for hibernation. Eccles always has snow tires and my snowmobile suit is ready for me to wear when it gets cold out....

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Put new heated grips on "Silvy" this week ,now ready for winter. Also balanced the carbs and install my spare coils with only 62,000 km's ,seems to start quicker . Only 4 months to spring, cheers

Reactions: soggz68

·
Registered
639 Posts
Not too bad a day yesterday. Balanced my carbs and changed the plugs, and went out for a 30 odd mile ride, for something to do. Still fairly mild in the south of the uk at the moment, so taking advantage of the fact that the roads havnt been gritted yet.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Bob ,Take it is Snowing out your way.

·
Premium Member
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Putting ethanol free fuel in a bike for storage is pretty much a wasted effort unless you drain the stuff with ethanol in it from the tank first, not that I think it is as good as just leaving the tank empty
Just start ahead. I found another oxi-free station close by, so I'll run it all year except when I travel.

Daruma (the INT650) has 99.9 miles on him. I'll have to fill up again. Snowed today but is 37*F, going up to 40*F so I might get out later today.
Putting ethanol free fuel in a bike for storage is pretty much a wasted effort unless you drain the stuff with ethanol in it from the tank first, not that I think it is as good as just leaving the tank empty.
If you aren't going to drain the tanks you should at least turn the petcocks off and drain the carbs because fuel will still evaporate from them.

BTW: You already know that I have gotten ready for winter by finishing up a couple of small projects on Eccles (did you see the new LED turn signals that don't require any flasher in the Never Ending Build thread?) and moving the GoldWing into the shed for hibernation. Eccles always has snow tires and my snowmobile suit is ready for me to wear when it gets cold out....
I didn't see the non-flasher LED lights. I'd be interested.

I ordered a couple harnesses for my RE INT650. A retired aerospace engineer in England (his whole career was working on the Concord), made a splitter for the empty 12v plug in the headlight of the Interceptor to allow 2 things to be plugged into the fused source.
I'll use it for usb/12v outlet and for the GPS. I ordered 2 because the shipping was the same as for one and I'll offer one to a local person, shipping free.

·
Premium Member
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The morning snow is gone, but am doing chores. We have 3 or 4 more days of no snow coming up. I will get a windshield for the Interceptor for cold weather rides

·
Super Moderator
14,895 Posts
Lee: The fall work on Eccles starts with the "new" seat in post #228 of the Never Ending Build (link in my signature). I also changed the trunk to one that I think will have more usable space inside than the SilverWing trunk I've had for some years without being much bigger overall. The new turn signals are covered in post #231, including a video of them working (I need to get a better video camera if I'm going to do that very often).

Gerard: There is about 3-4 cm of white, fluffy stuff on the railing of our back deck as I type this with a few more coming overnight. We were supposed to take the car in for an oil change and oil spray tomorrow but it has to be dry for the oil to stick so I expect that will have to be re-booked for later in the week.

Not too many weeks ago I was going out to work in the garden for a few hours at about this time when it was cooler out but today it is already as dark as midnight at 5:25 PM. I'll be glad when fall ends, winter starts and the days start getting longer.....

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Can relate to the lack of daytime verse darkness, is it my idea or does time seem to go faster the older I get. Good thing Silvy has really excellent Led headlights,not many streetlights out where I live. This winter insured the old Dodge Van for getting around when it's icy and or snowing , which thank the weather gods hasn't happened yet. Thing's big enough to win a game of bumper cars. Stay warm Gerard

·
Super Moderator
14,895 Posts
There's about 10-12 cm of snow on the deck today. I may shovel enough of it off so we can get to the stairs but the forecast says it will be warm enough to melt it by the end of the week. I've seen a few people out on 2 wheels in the last week but that is probably over for the year now.

·
Super Moderator
4,110 Posts
I've seen a few people out on 2 wheels in the last week but that is probably over for the year now.
Around here there are e-bikes or e-scooters on the roads all winter.

·
Super Moderator
14,895 Posts
I meant motorcycles without sidecars.
There are a couple people that you see out on e-bikes in the winter in Lindsay but they only come out when the roads have been plowed and they seldom venture out of town. I think our village is too small for anyone to bother with them here (you can walk from one end to the other in about 25 minutes).

I went out on Eccles today (not very far, as usual); It was warm enough that the snow on the driveway had melted down to not enough to bother doing anything about.
It will only need to be about 10 degrees cooler before it starts to stay around...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts