Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've got one of those upholstery businesses around here that's been around since before the age of time, probably started out on horse drawn carriages but now they pretty much only cater to people doing restoration or custom stuff. Anyhow I knew they were the best to trust when it came to asking questions so I took my seat in, explained the simple vinyl covers that abounded on eBay and asked him if he could duplicate the pattern in some sort of car seat stuff. He explained how the original from the factory had the pattern just melted into it and to duplicate that he'd have to sew in selective padding and that every stich line would be a weak point.

He then led me past the thousands of rolls and bits and pieces of material they had all over the place on racks, stops at one, pulls some out and asks me if I know what it is. Really thick, tough and with a rather unique grain pattern.

Ostrich. It's black but not real glossy, said he'd used it on a lot of custom motorcycle seats because even though it has a shine it's not slippery but still rather smooth since it's all from the fine quill area, it's also one of the toughest hides available and due to the final treatment it gets it deals with rain just fine. Also said he could give the seat a similar appearance to the original by (can't remember his term) attaching stuff to the back of the leather that would give it slightly raised areas where they're supposed to be.

At $145 it isn't going to be cheap but it should last one heck of a lot longer than those plain looking universal covers you see on eBay or just using car vinyl.

Considering the quality of work this guy does, and looking at what this stuff usually costs:

http://www.ostrich.com/leather/Ostrich-Full-Quill-Hides-Raw-Skins

I don't know how he can do it.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I'm curious what the final product will look like. Please post a picture.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Here's hoping PETA doesn't get a hold of your bike.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Marschallf3 good for you. I enjoy seeing guys step out of the black vinyl trap. Ostrich makes for very nice Cowboy boots too, along with my favorite boot leather Python! I'm tracking down some Alcantara for my seat covering. Trying to get two-tone. This will be added expense darn.

Cheers, 50gary

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Marschallf3 good for you. I enjoy seeing guys step out of the black vinyl trap. Ostrich makes for very nice Cowboy boots too, along with my favorite boot leather Python! I'm tracking down some Alcantara for my seat covering. Trying to get two-tone. This will be added expense darn.

Cheers, 50gary

I like the fact it isn't slippery and is as tough as nails. It also has the rain resistance because ostrich hide has one of the highest oil contents of any leather but I'm sure I'll be putting a little saddle soap on it from time to time.

Luckily the piece he's using isn't like what I usually see on boots and wallets with those big bumps fairly far apart, this is relatively smooth but you can still see the multitude of fine quill marks in the texture.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got the seat back and he wasn't telling me the full story. He used an imitation material although it's still as tough and thick as the original. I guess the weatherability will be improved but he did do an excellent job. I'll try to take some pictures when I get a chance.

·
Registered
409 Posts
(Eight years later)

And...? And...?

I was looking for a leather-versus-vinyl thread here, and this was the closest I found.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
(Eight years later)

And...? And...?

I was looking for a leather-versus-vinyl thread here, and this was the closest I found.
Leather is better/vinyl is cheaper and more consistent. Not that complicated.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I have been brought up to date about the thread. My thanks.

Reactions: LRCXed
1 - 10 of 10 Posts