Honda CX 500 Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,265 Posts
In any event, I'm excited to compare/contrast the feel of the 650 vs the 500.
As similar as they are, each is definitely its own experience.

Reactions: lukaspriest

·
Registered
896 Posts
If you can tell me where the info about a Silverwing naked conversion is hiding, I'd be in your debt!
Turning a GL500 Interstate naked - Honda CX and GL Wiki
It appears to me that only the headlight bracket is unique to the GL500. It sure looks the same as bracket for the 650. Maybe the different fork diameters call for some difference or another.
This too:
https://www.cx500forum.com/attachme...onvert_a_gl500i_into_a_naked_bike-pdf.207599/

Silverwing Downgrade

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
This is how it turned out, I gave the fairing away to somebody, also I shortened the wiring box so it didn't stick out so much, and used some rear turn signals from a junked GL500 for the front, then also put on a nice chromed horn from that GL500, rear view mirrors from a box of assorted mirrors at the junkyard, whatever fits works is my strategy. Almost forgot, swapped out all the bodywork, bags, and tank with that GL500 since they were in better shape. Don't remember where I got that HONDA badge on the front.
Tire Plant Fuel tank Wheel Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Now I remember, the HONDA badge and the radiator shroud came from a CX500 basket case.
I think I had to modify the shroud for the filler cap location.
Good luck on your build.
I was never fond of the OEM fairing, too top heavy in spite of its great wind blocking capability, so to each his own, right ?

·
Registered
1981 CX500 Custom
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Looks absolutely gorgeous!!!! Yeah, I was told how heavy the fairing was and knew right away I wanted to ditch it. You have given me some GREAT ideas, particularly using old GL500 rear turn signals on the front. Off to Ebay I go! Thank you again.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
I should mention that the original front turn signals were 3 wire but the backs are 2 wire so you will lose one of the functions, but the turn signal function will still be there.
That's going from memory, so take it with a grain of salt.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
18,710 Posts
The original signals include marker lights that are turned off when the signals are operating. Your local laws may require you to retain all original lighting functions but even though you aren't likely to get ticketed for that there's no point giving some inattentive car driver that runs into you and claims he didn't see you an excuse (defense lawyers can call in all kinds of expert witnesses) so I'd recommend adding separate marker lights if you use signals that can't provide them. Small, inexpensive LED signals would do nicely...

·
Premium Member
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,265 Posts
The rears on Nimbus were replaced with fronts at some point. I'd be willing to trade.

·
Registered
1981 CX500 Custom
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Yeah, I plan on making sure that I get 3-wire turn signals that are capable of serving as "running lights." I'm not sure if Boise requires them, but they seem like a good thing to have, especially from a safety and visibility perspective.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts