Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1979 cx500 custom (US) While riding with my shorts on I noticed that I get a shock on my left leg when my leg touches the spark plug cap. I assume there is a break in the insulation my guess is the cap buy not positive. I was going to order new spark plug caps but the site I found selling them offers a variety of sizes and I don't know which one I need. I really don't know for sure what is up so I am wide open to suggestions and also how do I know what size cap to buy if I do order them? This is my source http://www.partsnmore.com/parts/honda/cx500/?filters[category]=electrical&filters[page]=2&filters[per_page]=25

but I am open of supplier suggestions as well.

Rick

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
The cap pushes into the wire with a slight twist as you push them together. Your cap may be fine, it could be a gap between the cap and wire, and when your knee gets near it, ZAP.

The original ones are available from Honda for around $20 each, there are also after markets for around $10 each, bikebandit had after markets the last time this subject came up IIRC.

·
Registered
977 Posts
1979 cx500 custom (US) While riding with my shorts on I noticed that I get a shock on my left leg when my leg touches the spark plug cap.

Rick
Sounds like a Honda safety feature to remind you not to wear shorts.

·
Registered
57 Posts
This reminds me .... When I was a kid (probably about 9 or 10) my parents had sold our house to a British couple who had just moved over to the States. For about a week the couple were moving their stuff in as we were moving ours out. They brought this old British lawnmower over to the house, and put it under the awning in the back yard. One day as I was playing around outside, my dad came out to see what I was doing, so I started asking him questions about all their stuff sitting there.

Before he went back into the house his one last comment was "Whatever you do... don't try to start the lawnmower." Well, I can tell you... starting that lawnmower was the last thing from my mind... until he said that.
Several hours later... after seeing my dad asleep in his chair, I decided to try my luck at the lawnmower.

There were no controls on the mower handle, and only one lever on the carburetor that adjusted the speed of the engine. I'd seen my dad start our mower by pulling on the cord... so I decided to give that a whirl... after several tries it fired right up... Loudly! Of course my first reaction was to shut it off as quickly as I could, but I couldn't figure out how to, because the thing didn't have any other switches or knobs on it... ANYWHERE! The only thing I could think to do was try to pull the spark plug wire off of the spark plug, but everytime I touched the rubberized cable it would shock the hell out of me! After many tries (mostly quick ones... and if I remember right, a stick even came into play at one point), and alot of pain, I finally got up enough courage to go in the house and wake my dad up from his afternoon nap, and tell him that I couldn't figure out how to shut off the lawnmower that he had told me not to start.

I don't recall getting in too much trouble... just *the look*. I think he knew that I had paid for my mistake after telling him how I had tried to shut it off.

By the way... you push the dirty brown tab against the side of the spark plug to ground it out....

I've never felt the need to touch the spark plug wire on a running lawnmower ever again.

dad was a shingle sawyer for almost 40 years. Early in his career he mis-calculated the distance of the saw and almost lost all the fingers on his right hand... 45 years later the scars from the skin they grafted off his inner arm are far worse than the scars on his hand. That's what I think about before I get on anything faster than a bicycle.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Sounds like a Honda safety feature to remind you not to wear shorts.
+1...come on Rick!! Shorts?! If you consider it too hot to ride, and have to resort to shorts...then don't ride. Wear the gear!

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
If your plug caps are in bad enough shape to make them arc and shock your knees then I'd think the bike would be running crappy too......like up and down idle etc.....right ???

·
Registered
100 Posts
1979 cx500 custom (US) While riding with my shorts on I noticed that I get a shock on my left leg when my leg touches the spark plug cap. I assume there is a break in the insulation my guess is the cap buy not positive. I was going to order new spark plug caps but the site I found selling them offers a variety of sizes and I don't know which one I need. I really don't know for sure what is up so I am wide open to suggestions and also how do I know what size cap to buy if I do order them? This is my source http://www.partsnmore.com/parts/honda/cx500/?filters[category]=electrical&filters[page]=2&filters[per_page]=25

but I am open of supplier suggestions as well.

Rick

I replaced mine for cheap aftermarket ones, they didn't improve anything, there were still misfires and I got shocks off em through gloves. I then bought NGK originals. Pricey but they solved all problems, even came with all the rubber bits, parts No in link below:

http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/CX500CB-CUSTOM-1981/part_134052/

1 - 9 of 9 Posts