Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a pain in the you know. Two local hardware stores and two locksmiths all say the same thing, bring in a blank and we'll cut it. I found one locksmith 20 miles away that will do it for $20 US. I bought a blank on the bay for $7 US so plus a $3 cut fee....
Just saying.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Where in NE are you? You need to go to a "real" locksmith with a good inventory of blanks, not someone with a certificate from an institute he found in the back of Popular Science. If you are near try "Professional Lock" in
Willimantic, CT. They've been in business for years. I've taken multiple Honda locks to them without the key and they've made them while I waited. No, they didn't use a punch they actually found the correct blank, put it in, wiggled it around and ground the key.
They also did the same thing to my Delta tool box. Came out into parking lot, tried several blanks, went inside and made a key. Call before you go. I'm lucky to have such a place so near me.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. Hopefully I'm all set as long as I get the right blank and the cut goes well. I will probably get a backup for the spare eventually but having just the one makes me nervous.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I just visited my Honda bike dealer. They had the blanks and cut me a key, for my '82 GL500.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I went to Ace Hardware and they had blanks and cut the key for a couple bucks. I didn't know they were hard to find.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Good to know, guys. My CX500 Custom is going into the shop for new tires and an inspection next Friday, and I'll have to remember to ask if they can make spare keys too.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ace is the place I went to, hmm, that sounds familiar? but they didn't do motorcycles at all. Aubuchon also. Maybe it's a law in Mass to not duplicate motorcycle keys without a special license, I wouldn't put it past them in this state.
The thing with online is the shipping is usually about 70-90% more than the parts for the small, cheap stuff. I changed the oil yesterday and the spring and seat were missing. $5 total for both parts online and $8 to ship. I could've waited 'til Mon., call all over, drive there if I find them and have it a day or two earlier than it's expected, but I just paid the shipping.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yeah, I agree. The online shipping cost sometimes kills a good buy. But, I bought 7 keys and paid $6.35 for shipping. I didn't expect the hardware store to cut them for free so I ended up paying $1.66 per cut key. And I didn't have to run to multiple places asking if they had a correct blank. I think I made out pretty good.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
15,759 Posts
As long as the kid running the machine doesn't mess up your blanks. I think I have has about a 1 in 6 failure rate with having keys cut by non-locksmiths. If they mess up cutting their own blank its their problem but if you bring it to them....

BTW: My Dad was a locksmith and I inherited his stuff. These days I cut my own and if I don't have the blank I need I buy just the blank and cut it myself. The last time I checked the right blank for Hondas was pretty common...

·
Registered
104 Posts
There are sure many ways to skin this cat! I have been a happy customer of lockpicks.com for many years. I also have my own Belsaw key making machine that I once found in an antique store. I purchase my key blanks from lockpicks.com as they cost very little.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I dunno, cutting keys isn't rocket science. Important thing is the key and blank need to be aligned to each other. Also, I always make sure the person cutting my keys check the calibration on the machine before doing any cutting. This is so simple, even a kid can do it. It's important because as the grinding blade dulls, the machine will need recalibrated. It only takes them about a minute to check the calibration and make any adjustments but if they don't, your keys may not work. If you get a key cut and it doesn't work, take it back to the store, have them recalibrate the machine and recut the same key. This usually fixes it but not always. It's just easier for them to toss keys away because they are so cheap for them to buy blanks. A true locksmith will always keep his machine calibrated, not so at a big box store.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I got the ebay blank and found a LS that cut 2 almost right fit keys. They're finicky but do work so I got something anyway. I think it was $3.37 w/tax for both.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
15,759 Posts
If they cut the keys by the number and they don't work perfectly you should take them back. And take one of the locks they don't work right in that have the numbers on them with you (you probably should have done that in the first place). They might be able to make an adjustment and make them work...

·
Registered
558 Posts
Ace is the place I went to, hmm, that sounds familiar? but they didn't do motorcycles at all. Aubuchon also. Maybe it's a law in Mass to not duplicate motorcycle keys without a special license, I wouldn't put it past them in this state.
The thing with online is the shipping is usually about 70-90% more than the parts for the small, cheap stuff. I changed the oil yesterday and the spring and seat were missing. $5 total for both parts online and $8 to ship. I could've waited 'til Mon., call all over, drive there if I find them and have it a day or two earlier than it's expected, but I just paid the shipping.
If its a law, my local true value in Pepperell, MA doesn't follow it. I brought in my key, and they duplicated it for me no problem.

TF

·
Registered
104 Posts
At lockpicks.com, blanks are often US $0.15 each with a minimum order of 10 blanks. That's a whopping US $1.50.

If you go through their online checkout process, the shipping defaults to something crazy like the US $8 or $9 mentioned. There's a workaround. Call their toll-free number and a sales associate will mail you the blanks in a regular envelope for a couple of bucks. You are out the door with 10 blanks for less than US $5. That's a good deal.

To the person who mentioned calibrating key cutting machines, I say x1000!! This is simple and easy and if not done a duplicated key is likely to not work. There are a lot of degrees of freedom on these machines and every one has an adjustment.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Here I can get the keys from a friend that has a motorcycle mini key making machine done on location ,,,, he will go to bike events ,,,,and always there will be some one with " I LOST MY KEYS"

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
The last time I checked the right blank for Hondas was pretty common...
I found a list of blank keys from different brands. (I'm not sure if these brands are also available in USA ?)

JMA Honda Car Blank - Plastic Top - SALS-HOND-4D.P
HOND-4D.P Key Blank
Alternative Manufacturer's References/Codes:
Silca : HON 31RAP
Silca : HON 31RCP
Silca : HON 31RP
Orion : HO20LHP
Orion : HO20LP
Errebi : HD24P22
Errebi : HD24P31
CEA : HA32SP
CEA : HA32SP2
CB Hook : P208

I have the red marked key/code and it fits good/correct.

Sometimes/often it will be good to give a hint for the blank code to the locksmith.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts