Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m getting my 78 CX500 Deluxe Back on the road with some help. It’s sat for too long, now it seems the carbs are gummed up. My friend, who has a lot of experience with small engines says it would be easier to buy a pair of brand new generic carbs like the ones that can be found on Amazon. Has anyone ever done this?

·
Registered
1983 GL650i
365 Posts
They don't make "generic" plug and play cx500 carbs that are available on Amazon, but they do for other, generally smaller, single cylinder bikes. If your carbs are gummed up, you may consider servicing them yourself with the help of Larry Cargill's carb book (see the link in my sig line), or you might reach out to him and inquire about enlisting his services to clean/rebuild them. He has restored two different sets for me and I would describe his work as "god-tier."

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What "generic" carbs are you referring to? I've never heard that one. You done have a lawn tractor or snow blower
PWK Carburetor 21 24 26 28 30 32 34mm Racing Carb Universal 2T 4T Engine Dirt Bike Motocross Motorcycle Scooter ATV Quad (30mm) https://a.co/d/dOLDL8U

Here is an example, they come in different sizes. I don’t think they are designed to be used as a pair, but that doesn’t mean something can’t be made to work.

if there is a specific reason why this won’t work I like to know.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
You will need to come up with a way to link the carbs together for the throttle cable and fine tune it for balancing the carbs. It sounds like a lot of custom fab work that will take more money and time than simply rebuilding the carbs that belong there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You will need to come up with a way to link the carbs together for the throttle cable and fine tune it for balancing the carbs. It sounds like a lot of custom fab work that will take more money and time than simply rebuilding the carbs that belong there.
Im leaning towards rebuilding, but after looking at quite a few threads I have the impression that it’s fairly common to still have problems after rebuilding.

im really just trying to look at all my options, and I’m hoping someone has actually tried some of these inexpensive carbs.

·
Super Moderator
13,446 Posts
Carbs can be a headache. Nockoffs can be even worse. You can get some Genuwine Mikinis and they might work or fight you all day long. I would trust them slightly on small engines and single carb engines but that's where it ends.

I put some nockoffs on a cm200t and they worked just not the best. Looked sand cast the brand was spelled wrong. then when the originals were done bathing in the ultrasonic they went back on.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Im leaning towards rebuilding, but after looking at quite a few threads I have the impression that it’s fairly common to still have problems after rebuilding.

im really just trying to look at all my options, and I’m hoping someone has actually tried some of these inexpensive carbs.
Get Larry’s Carb book and follow the directions exactly and carefully for a good rebuild. If you don’t think you can do it properly then just send them to Larry and pay him to do it for you. They will come back to you operating as new and looking better than new.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I’m getting my 78 CX500 Deluxe Back on the road with some help. It’s sat for too long, now it seems the carbs are gummed up. My friend, who has a lot of experience with small engines says it would be easier to buy a pair of brand new generic carbs like the ones that can be found on Amazon. Has anyone ever done this?
If you want to do it yourself, get Larry's book - money well spent. If you just want it running, have Larry rebuild them for you. If you go the way of the knock-off Amazon, please detail the adventure with pics and a write up.

Gesture Font Symbol Rectangle Pattern

Reactions: lukaspriest

·
Registered
1983 GL650i
365 Posts
Get Larry’s Carb book and follow the directions exactly and carefully for a good rebuild. If you don’t think you can do it properly then just send them to Larry and pay him to do it for you. They will come back to you operating as new and looking better than new.
Coming from personal experience - this is the way.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
19,584 Posts
I have nothing to add except (since this is apparently your first post on the forum since you joined 8 years ago) welcome to the forum. Please add your location and your bike's model and model year to your profile so that you don't have to remember to tell us every time and we don't have to keep asking when you forget (see Forum Settings link in my signature).

And welcome to the world of antique vehicle ownership (they own us, not the other way around). Your bike is about 4 decades old and may or may not have had all of the maintenance necessary to keep it safe & reliable so it is highly recommended to download the Factory Shop Manual for your model (available through the CX Wiki - link in my signature) and go through all of the service procedures, regardless of whether your bike has reached the specified mileage.
I also recommend looking on all rubber parts with suspicion because rubber does not age gracefully. Check the date codes on your tires and replace them if they are over 5 years old no matter how good they look & feel (old rubber simply cannot flow around the irregularities in the asphalt well enough to grip, especially if it is cool or wet). If your bike still has the original rubber brake line(s) (should be replaced every 2 or 3 fluid changes = 5 or 6 years) I recommend shopping for modern stainless braided ones (they last practically forever and double the life of the fluid). And don't forget things like the rad hoses and the boot between the engine and swingarm (they can crack on the bottom where you don't see it).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts