Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused:Hello all ! New user to the forum just got my hands on a cx650c and trying to get it going. It runs but needs head gaskets replaced. I have gotten a quote for $1,000 to replace both sides and clean valves, and shave head if needed, is this price fair?

·
Super Moderator
11,453 Posts
Wowza, for that grand you could do a hella lot of head gasket changes. That quote would easily be 80% labor cost, if not more. All the help you need to do it yourself is in this forum if you poke around. Check the WIKI and other links below for a good start.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
This is an engine in job and not difficult, gaskets and valve job, so if you are at all handy, give it a try.
You will learn a lot and get satisfaction.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Take the$1000 and put it towards a storage barn big enough to store and work in. A not to complicated job to do ,get a service manual and learn to do it yourself.Most mechanics today wouldn't know how to work on it . Its an antique now and parts are getting harder to find but not impossible ,two gaskets should cost about $75-$100 w/shipping.https://www.davidsilverspares.com/parts/by-part-number/part_12251ME2405P/

·
Super Moderator
20,961 Posts
I don't think there has ever been an easier bike to remove and refit heads. The motor is pushrod so there is no cam or timing to mess with.

Remove the seat and fuel tank, the engine hanger bolt into the front of each head. Drain the cooling system. Remove the header pipes and carbs. Remove the thermostat assembly and air dam. Remove 4 headbolts each side and lift off the rockers and grab the pushrods.

Lift head.

I may or may not have forgotten something but that's pretty much it.

Best to replace the coolant handling O rings while you're about the place. There's an oiljet under each head to watch out for and these also have O rings. You may want to replace the carb intake O rings too.

·
Registered
24,201 Posts
How many miles on the bike,The guy may know what he is talking about If your bike is high miles or been sitting it could need some valvesDue,to pitting so it can run 250 a head or more for machine workPlus valves and guides then add head gadkets oil antifreeze Probably a new thermostat and plugs,Then labor and 1k goes fast not many here take there bikes to a shop or repair them using all new parts I just rebuilt a cl350 motor and put 700 in parts in it

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How many miles on the bike,The guy may know what he is talking about If your bike is high miles or been sitting it could need some valvesDue,to pitting so it can run 250 a head or more for machine workPlus valves and guides then add head gadkets oil antifreeze Probably a new thermostat and plugs,Then labor and 1k goes fast not many here take there bikes to a shop or repair them using all new parts I just rebuilt a cl350 motor and put 700 in parts in it
Yea kinda what I'm thinking. Figure I don't have tools he's going to replace both sides and have head machined , valve work as well. Bike has been sitting for over a year bought it recently and wanted to keep it. No time to fix myself. He might go down a little but thats around the cost he was quoting for labor and head, valve work

1 - 15 of 15 Posts