Honda CX 500 Forum banner
81 - 96 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
1983 cx650E
984 Posts
Phil, I give credit to you for the HTTA accronymn.

I always think of Phil and Gene as founding members of the HTTA beacause they both attended the first ralky in Jonestown Pa. I saddled up but DUCKED OUT (pun intended) when I saw the forecast.

Phil, Were you or Gene more responsible for initiating that rendevous. If I recall, Glenn Coates was there as well as at the first couple Amish Rallies. Didn't Rich and his brother come down too?

Did anyone have a phone # for Glenn?

·
Registered
915 Posts
I had given Melissa, Gene's daughter, the URL for this page. She really appreciated all the support and kind comments shared here. Below is her email.

==========================================================================
Michael, THANK YOU!! I have really appreciated reading all of the wonderful things people have been saying about my dad.

He truly was one of a kind.

I should have the details for his service in TN by tomorrow afternoon.

Again, thank you!!

=====================================================================================================

Ride safe....

Michael

Reactions: nippongreen

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Gene and I initiated the first Amish Rally within the already named HTTA. Gene showed up at the first gathering of the un-named group for the first

hoda Hoot

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Phil, I give credit to you for the HTTA accronymn.

I always think of Phil and Gene as founding members of the HTTA beacause they both attended the first ralky in Jonestown Pa. I saddled up but DUCKED OUT (pun intended) when I saw the forecast.

Phil, Were you or Gene more responsible for initiating that rendevous. If I recall, Glenn Coates was there as well as at the first couple Amish Rallies. Didn't Rich and his brother come down too?

I don't take credit for the acronym Tony, Gene was not one of the founders of the HTTA He showed up at the campground where Dick, Charles, and Ray were camping and asked if he could hang out with all the other CX/GL's. He recently got back into biking with his 81 GL500 that later became "Casper"

It was at the second Hoot 2001 where Gene and I played with idea for PA being the center of the eastern US for our own rally.
We still had not added it to the HTTA until our second year in Milton, PA Then it became the Amish Rally because of the proximity to all the Amish farms in the area, no other reason.

Our first Rally was in August 2001 in Jonestown,PA KOA and they have been in West Milton since.

First attendees Gene, Phil, Sam, Rich, Ernie, Glenn, Jim (day tripper)

This year 2015 will be our 15th annual Htta Amish Rally

·
Registered
915 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
I plan on riding up. Anyone want to join in at some point? Leaving Stephens County around 5:30AM on Hwy 365/17 South, turning into 441/23 South, turning into I-95 South, turning into I-85 South. Taking I-285 to I-75 North. Following it till Chattanooga. Then picking up I-24 West. Until arriving at Murfreesboro. Be about 5 hours without stops for me. Which would place us at funeral home at about 11:00.

·
Registered
915 Posts
@The_Cheese - I plan on riding up as well. Perhaps we could link up at I-75 north at I-285?

·
Registered
212 Posts
PM sent to Mike about meeting.

I forgot about the hour difference between here Murfreesboro, Ill be leaving at 6:00 AM instead. Which would put me around I-75 and I-285 near 8:00AM.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Ok - so I'm a little late here, I was sad to hear of the news of Gene’s passing through another forum member (thanks Phil). I didn’t know the surrounding circumstances until I found this thread. I first met Gene at an Amish rally. I also had the privilege of meeting up with him and another forum member in Murfreesboro for dinner several years ago. Gene was a true gentleman and will be missed. I also did not know about Mike, but again I'm not around much...and when I am here usually I'm in the Turbo section.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
so sad.My sincere condolences to Genes family at this tragic time.R.I.P.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Went to Gene's memorial service yesterday in Murfreesboro, TN. They had a fine service for Gene. There were several posts from this thread mentioned in the service. The family appreciates everyone's concern and kind words spoken of Gene.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Went to Gene's memorial service yesterday in Murfreesboro, TN. They had a fine service for Gene. There were several posts from this thread mentioned in the service. The family appreciates everyone's concern and kind words spoken of Gene.
Thank you for the representation. I hope you weren't the only CX/GL person there.

·
Registered
915 Posts
I was not the only member of this forum to attend the service. DaveF and The Cheese, as well as many others in spirit, were in attendance also. There were several direct quotes from this thread mentioned during the service. The family very much appreciated all of the prayers and concern from this forum.

Michael

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I would have been there but the online obituary said his service was in June. Thought I had already missed it. I did leave an online condolence last week. Glad you were there to represent. RIP Gene

·
Premium Member
2021 Benelli Leoncino - 2017 CSC RX3 - 2017 SSR Buccaneer 250i - 1979 CX650 Street Scrambler
1,592 Posts
Was Dick at that rally?

BTW: Does Charles know?
I do now, I just logged in after a long hiatus, and I'm deeply saddened to know that Gene passed. And even sadder that it happened months ago, and I missed the funeral. I'll bet my dad (DickInRaleigh) is up there showing him around right now. This is terrible news and not what I wanted to hear this morning. This is going to take me a while to come to terms with.

Charles.

81 - 96 of 96 Posts