Honda CX 500 Forum banner
61 - 80 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
So sad, but yet such a good way to go. I am sorry for the family's loss, but I cannot possibly think of a better way to go than doing something that you love. Getting older is heck, any way you look at it. I plan to ride as long as I can and after that I can get a trike or a sidecar or whatever the heck they are making at that point. Keep on riding, be safe and enjoy yourself. Thanks for all the good times Gene. Godspeed my friend.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Although I didn't have the pleasure of knowing the man, I can't help but see what a great influence he had on this community, and I'm thankful for that. I will certainly be praying for his family.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I did not know him well but I knew him well enough to feel stunned by this news.
He helped me through the forum several times. I am not on very often anymore but I will miss his posts.
I am sad to hear about this.
RIP

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
The funeral will be in Murfreesboro TN on July 11th. More details as I learn them.

Reactions: nippongreen

·
Registered
368 Posts
This is just unbelievable. My condolences go out to Genes family. Never met the man, but he has helped me with the GL a few times here and the old site. This community has lost a valuable resource. Please tell me the lady that hit him wasn't drunk or texting.

Vaya con dios Gene.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
I met Gene so many years ago -- maybe about 15 years, I think. Even though my interactions with him were brief, I fondly remember his kind spirit. My prayers go out to him and to his family.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
God Bless you Gene.
A GENTLEMAN in all true aspects of the word.

Mine and Chris's 1st Amish Rally with Gene...AKA Willie Nelson in the background (2007)

Amish Rally 2010............A loaded tailgate !!!

Gene + Don came to visit Ottawa Canada during there epic adventure (2008)

Chris stopped in to say HI on her way to her baseball game......We all had a good laugh at Chris's team jersey ;-) (2008)

RIP...................Gene.........

·
Registered
915 Posts
I went to Gene McCall's funeral visitation this evening. It was from 6:00-8:00 pm in Villa Rica, Georgia. It was about a 50 mile ride on the CX500. I had the opportunity to meet his family and view a slideshow depicting what a great guy he was. Grandchildren were a huge part of his life. The kids were always smiling in his presence. His daughter Melissa and I spoke for quite a while. She was not aware of this group, so I filled her in on the many friends Gene had here, and how he has helped so many in so many ways over the years. The stories and the support demonstrated for Gene and his family appeared to be very much appreciated.

The funeral home was very nice.

Gene's daughter Melissa expressed that she would love to have the folks here share any pictures of her Dad that may be available with her. She asked that I post her email address and phone number here on the forum so that she may get the pictures and perhaps a story or two. Since phone numbers shouldn't really be posted on forums, I will be happy to share the number and email address with anyone who PM's me.

As was previously posted, there is going to be a memorial service in Murfreesboro, TN on July 11th. The time has not been nailed down, but is said to likely be around 11:00 am. More details will be coming.

Ride safe everyone.....

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
A shared sadness surely is a lesser sadness . I joined this tremendous forum not early enough to have met Gene here via the www, but his legacy will live forever, as I clearly became aware of his lovely personality, via the tributes placed here. My condolances from Africa, also then to all the loved ones he temporarely left behind ...

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
I went to Gene McCall's funeral visitation this evening. It was from 6:00-8:00 pm in Villa Rica, Georgia. It was about a 50 mile ride on the CX500. I had the opportunity to meet his family and view a slideshow depicting what a great guy he was. Grandchildren were a huge part of his life. The kids were always smiling in his presence. His daughter Melissa and I spoke for quite a while. She was noGene's daughter Melissa expressed that she would love to have the folks here share any pictures of her Dad that may be available with her. She asked that I post her email address and phone number here on the forum so that she may get the pictures and perhaps a story or two. Since phone numbers shouldn't really be posted on forums, I will be happy to share the number and email address with anyone who PM's me.

As was previously posted, there is going to be a memorial service in Murfreesboro, TN on July 11th. The time has not been nailed down, but is said to likely be around 11:00 am. More details will be coming.

Ride safe everyone.....
Thanks!

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
It looks like he wasn't slowing down any and enjoying life, a good reminder for all of us, never met him but am impressed by the long list of friends.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,292 Posts
Gene was a very special person who will be missed by all who knew him. I often think back to the time Gene & Don visited on their Epic Sidecar Trip and I always wish they had been able to stay longer.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
It looks like he wasn't slowing down any and enjoying life, a good reminder for all of us, never met him but am impressed by the long list of friends.
Gene kept going as fast as his health would allow. That was how he enjoyed life.

Gene's 90 day trip on his hack with with Don was epic. From TN, through Alaska, across the whole of Canada and down to Amish; he glowed whenever he talked about it. It was the way he was.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I met Gene so many years ago -- maybe about 15 years, I think. Even though my interactions with him were brief, I fondly remember his kind spirit. My prayers go out to him and to his family.
I believe you are correct Ray. It was the 2000 Honda hoot occasion. You guys were camped at a campground that had been sold out before the next season started. Its the year when Chopper Charles ate that huge roast in a hamburger bun. and Dick was walking without crutches. We were still on the Swedish board then and the HTTA was starting to form in Dan Topping, Lea Harder, Tony G.,and a few other minds, Mine included. The good ole days.

61 - 80 of 96 Posts