Honda CX 500 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
So sorry to see this news. Gene was always someone who I had hoped to meet at a rally. Unfortunately, that will never happen now. My condolences to his wife Mabel, their family, friends. RIP, Gene.
Dan Colvin

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Terrible news that´ll change the picture forever! When "the old guys" disappear, one way or the other, they´ll be especially missed.

Gene was one of the first guys I met on CX forums during days now long gone. Friendly, correct, with a nice sense of humour. We "talked" to each other regularly but not too often. I knew he was always there... Not so, anymore..

We never met in person - blame the "pond". I hope he didn´t suffer. My condolences to those he´s leaving behind.

Rest in peace, Gene!

Now, all - take care!

/Sture

·
Registered
395 Posts
I was in complete shock when I heard the news. Still am, really.
The consummate Southern Gentleman that Gene was, a surrogate Father to me on several occasions, and a standard-bearer for all that was good and right in this World.
I still can't believe that he is gone.
And Steve's right - the real tragedy is that all the folks on this forum that never got the chance to meet Gene now never will.

May God comfort his Family and somehow help them to find peace in the midst of all this.

·
Registered
562 Posts
This is terrible... RIP
I suppose he will be the guest of honor at this year's Amish, and will ride along with all attendees. I know for sure that I will be thinking of him on my way there, and the many miles I will be clocking between now and then.

·
Registered
915 Posts
I never had the opportunity to meet Gene face to face, and regret that deeply. Each of his post on this forum were a pleasure to read. He was a fine and honorable man.

Prayers for Gene and his family as they get through this difficult time.

Rest in peace Gene.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
"True Southern Gentleman" would be the best way to describe Gene by any that met him. I first met him at the Amish Rally probably in 2006. I led several rides with him over the years since, and my wife and I had dinners at the Country Cupboard with him and the rest of the gang. I think Gene was her favorite one of the bunch. She is a great judge of character, after all, she married me you know. :)
Here are some photos to add to the memorial.
At my Mom and Dad's place in 2008, after the epic Alaska~Canada~US trip with Don Seedsman. Gene is at left, behind my parents as they admire his rig. Also in attendance is Don, Jim from NJ, and Dave Weiner from Wisconsin.
Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle House Lawn
Here are Don and Gene at the overlook near South Williamsport, PA with the airport in the background.

And here is the ST with Don in the side car as they were following me somewhere while I was in my Prelude. The location is at the bridge in Jersey Shore, PA. I just stuck the camera out of the sun roof.
Asphalt Bridge Transport Vehicle Road surface
To Gene's family; it was a real genuine pleasure to have known your loved one and a privilege to ride along the scenic roads of Pennsylvania with him. I will remember his sense of humor and his generosity but mostly his spirit of adventure, which will live on as long as those of us who knew him are alive. May God rest his merry soul.
~Ron in PA~

Attachments

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
I liked the idea of photos of Gene and some of the original members, so I thought I would post a few. If you click on the tab it tells who they all are.

·
Registered
1983 cx650E
984 Posts
Tony, Mike Manning died over a year ago.
Thanks Phil. I did not know and if I heard at the rally last year, it slipped my notice.

It's with this intent and purpose that this present notice is pinned.

Thanks DaveW for the pics of Mike Manning too. I have a recollection of hearing that his health was continuing to fail with little positive expectation, but thats the last I cognitively remember.

Comical, friendly, Fun, Kind spirited, Southern Gentleman, Willie Nelson's twin brother are all ideas tgat come to mind when remembering Gene.

·
Registered
1983 cx650E
984 Posts
Willie Nelson? ;) I can see a physical resemblance but Gene had way more class.
He would sometimes play on that resemblence with waitresses or with the cashiers at fuel stops. I think a couple of us learned to play along for a bit.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Thanks Phil. I did not know and if I heard at the rally last year, it slipped my notice.

It's with this intent and purpose that this present notice is pinned.

Thanks DaveW for the pics of Mike Manning too. I have a recollection of hearing that his health was continuing to fail with little positive expectation, but thats the last I cognitively remember.

Comical, friendly, Fun, Kind spirited, Southern Gentleman, Willie Nelson's twin brother are all ideas tgat come to mind when remembering Gene.
Tony, I am sad to say that Mike Manning didn't die of ill health, even though he did have a very bad back and an addiction. In one year, he lost his mother, his wife and his dog. He decided that he didn't want to stay on earth.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I never had the pleasure of sharing Gene's company, but enjoyed his posts back in the ChopperCharles days.

Rest in Peace? Doubtful - an object in motion tends to remain in motion, and he was a Man in Motion.

He's riding a different road now, but I look forward to meeting him on the other side of the mountain.

~Dave in NJ

·
Registered
82 Posts
I had the great pleasure of meeting Gene on one of my trips out East from Minnesota. It was just as his hack was being put together, he actually convinced the dealership to stay open (probably 2 hours or so) until I arrived to see it. He was beaming the entire time. I also met Mable, a very nice lady to let in a scruffy, smelly, unkept young'n. We had a wonderful time that evening. Gene was who they were talking about when they said "You meet the nicest people on a Honda"

·
Registered
212 Posts
Rest well old man. You will be missed. Prayers to Mabel and the rest of his family.

Jerry or Dave, Please let us know when you find out about memorial services. I plan to attend, and post it on the ST site. Gene was a great man and I'd like to get as many riders there as possible.

High Valley 2011

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
JT called me this morning and told me the bad news. I am in shock and feeling deep sorrow at hearing of the tragedy.
Gene was literally the nicest man I have ever had the pleasure of meeting, he was so supportive and friendly, so helpful and courteous. A true gentleman in every way. I am blessed to have met him and am saddened by his death.
He will be missed and remembered fondly.

Thanks to those posting photos, everyone who knew Gene will remember him and miss him greatly.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Thanks to those posting photos said:
Steve, we'll have to inaugurate the first annual "Gene McCall Memorial Lunch Run" at the rally in August.

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
Here are some photos taken in 2008 just before Gene and Don departed on their epic adventure to Alaska and across Canada.

I think Gene was telling Don he would have to hold those two boxes in his lap for the entire journey. :laugh:

This last photo is from the ham radio Field Day event last year in Suches, GA. Jerry, Gene, and I participated.

·
Super Moderator
11,462 Posts
I am impressed that many members here that don't post often have come in to give their best wishes. Just goes to show what type of influence good men like Gene can spawn.
I love that hack, and miss the Ham days.

·
Registered
1983 cx650E
984 Posts
Tony, I am sad to say that Mike Manning didn't die of ill health, even though he did have a very bad back and an addiction. In one year, he lost his mother, his wife and his dog. He decided that he didn't want to stay on earth.
Thanks Dave for the way you handled the topic.

I wish we could have been of more help.

41 - 60 of 96 Posts