Honda CX 500 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,231 Posts
Terrible news. I had hoped to meet Gene at the Amish some day.

Condolences and prayers for all those he leaves behind.

R

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Gene's family is at this address:

82 Tallapoosa St. Temple Ga. 30179

Any sympathy cards should be sent to this address.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
I just turned on the forum and when I read this I went into mild shock. Gene had called me to tell me all about his new home and how proud he was of it. We talked for about an hour. He told me how he was hoping to drive up to the Amish Rally if he could arrange for the care for Mabel.

He will be missed by me and anyone who ever knew him. Goodbye my friend.

·
Registered
1983 cx650E
993 Posts
I echo RichnCT and Davefrom Wisconsins thoughts. I liked him A LOT.

The fact that JB & DaveF (two people whom he met haphazardly through a silly motorcycle forum about 20 yrs ago) were going to set up a ham tower is telling of the friendships, comraderie and genuine-ness that have developed with many of the people here (and likely similar forums) I think he felt an extended family here too.

I am thinking how it would 'feel' appropriate to check with the family about flying the HTTA banner or have a picture of the banner or of him at various rallies at viewing/wake to represent the fond memories of his extended CX family.

DaveF or JB; I'll drop that suggestion or thought in your lap.

In the meantime, I'll hope to be part of a card shower from HTTA members and Amish rally attendees.

I expected to hear this news one-day; but expected to read that it was a result of a failed heart or surgery. Did he has that "turbo" pump installed? Mabel likely knew the risks each time he went out, but on the way to a new house & new beginings just doesn't seem right. I too hope he didn't suffer and if he did, it wasn't long.

I was hoping to see him again at an amish or even a southern rally.

I think we should pin this for a few months so that all you had previously been regulars (such as Dave McCall & Mike Manning or even myself at times) might see it and not be shocked later.

Did anyone call Phil?

Perhaps later we could talk about having a commemorative section of the forum with a short bio and pics.

·
Registered
1983 cx650E
993 Posts
Tony, it was JB and Dave F that were putting up the tower. I am in Wisconsin.
I had the right guy in mind; just the wrong letter. I edited the post. I know you guys well enough to know which direction you travel when you leave the rally.

DaveW; do you have Dave McCalls phone number?

What about the guy from Canada (edit: Glenn Coates) who sold his turbos to JimT. He is with Gene & DonfromOz in the one pic and came to the first few rallies. (His name eludes me right now)

I don't think he checks the forum all that regular and think that he would apreciate a call.

I see that Phil has posted of heari.g the news on page one.

·
Super Moderator
11,462 Posts
I don't remember who did them, but perhaps a memory patch similar to what was done for Marshall?

·
Super Moderator
2,851 Posts
At times like this it's hard to know what to say let alone what to think. But the nice thing I've experienced in the past was when I was digging around in old threads and ran across post made by members that had passed away, like Marshall. It always brought a smile and nice memories. We will all remember and think of Gene with fond memories and smiles when we run across a post he was part of thanks to this forum and the internet.

I hope he didn't suffer. My prayers are with his family and friends close to him.
Rest in peace Gene McCall!

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
This is terrible news. Gene brought a sense of class, humour and decency to every thread I saw him in and I'm sure he was the same in person.
The world becomes smaller when it loses people like him.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Tony, Mike Manning died over a year ago.

·
Registered
775 Posts
So very sad to hear of this. He only had a couple of years on myself, so it hits home a bit harder. I'm praying for those who are left behind.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I never met Gene, but always enjoyed his posts. Especially knowing he was one of the originals on here. It is a sad day to hear news like this. My prayers go out to his family. He will be missed by all. Rick

·
Registered
835 Posts
I read in a newspaper article "6 died in Ontario (Canada) in 16 days" All in their 50's and 60's riding motorcycles.

My heart goes out to Gene's family, Though I never met him, our thoughts and prayers go with you.

Please, Whatever your age, Ride Safe, and keep the shiny side up!

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I never met Gene, but his posts and demeanor helped to make the Forum what it is today. May he rest in peace.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I know that memorial threads have been discussed in the past, I'd like to bring it up again.

On the BARF forum, there is a "Gone but not forgotten" thread for members who have passed, not just from collisions, but any member who has passed on.
Maybe it's time to think about it?

21 - 40 of 96 Posts