Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gene McCall was sideswiped on I-75 while riding his ST hack from Murfreesboro TN to his new home in Temple GA. He was to spend his first night in his new house. DaveF and I were to meet him there tomorrow to erect HAM antennas so he could keep in touch with his radio friends.

I have no further details.

His daughter called me today and is still in shock. If I learn details concerning funeral or burial I will pass them on to this site.

Gene was one of the originals here. He died "in the saddle" leaving family and friends behind that have fond memories of the man he was.

He was a good friend to many on this forum and I know I can speak for them saying he is truly missed.

Jerry

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Oh no! Met Gene a couple times for lunch here in M'boro but we never could coordinate a ride. Prayer for his family.
RIP, Gene. We'll miss ya.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
I wish I hadn't checked the site just now.

We lost one of the great ones today. If you get any more details please post. What a sad, sad, day for everyone who ever met the man, and those who never will.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motorcycle Mode of transport

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
A sad loss for all, but certainly to family. Leaving this earth doing something you love is the only positive.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I went to Mountain Momma a few weeks ago hoping to meet Gene. I'm so sad for his family and for his family here. God Bless Gene.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Yes, God bless Gene and his surviving family. We spent many hours together sitting on a porch in Milton, PA greeting arrivals and seeing them go home pleased to have come to their first HTTA Amish Rally.
Rest in Peace Gene, I'll remember you for the rest of my life.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I liked Gene a lot, who wouldn't? A strong fighter, a good man, a good husband. Probably a good many other good things too. He will be in PA in August, I know he will. My best wishes to Mabel. I'm so sad.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
If anyone has contact with the family, perhaps there is something we could do for Mabel. I'm in, but do not know how?

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
If anyone has contact with the family, perhaps there is something we could do for Mabel. I'm in, but do not know how?
At my place of work, when something like this occurs, we pool together and get a credit to a local restaraunt with delivery so the family doesn't need to worry about eating or cleaning dishes, etc. Especially with relatives in town and busy making arrangements and such. It is also a nice way to let them know people are thinking of them.

·
Super Moderator
11,462 Posts
How sad I never got the chance to meet him, he was a true blue here as long as I can remember. Rest in Peace Gene, and God Bless the family.

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
147 Posts
Gene's daughter rang me with the BAD news this morning, and it is SO SAD that he did not get to sleep one night in his new home. Mabel is bearing up well under the ultimate bad news. He died doing what he loved doing, and had told me of his schedule for the ride - 45 minutes in the saddle and 15 minutes rest. He was within about one hour's ride of the new home. Dave and Jerry were also taking Gene on a radio Field Day soon.
I have lost a VERY dear friend, and won't be able to assist him to get back to the Amish Rally in 2018. RIP, Gene.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
If any family remains in Murfreesboro, TN and they need anything at all, please let me know. I'll be honored to help in anyway I can. Also if there is a viewing here I'd like to know as well. Thanks all.

Reactions: nippongreen

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Dont look in much nowadays and greatly saddened to find this.
Please pass my condolences to his family and friends it must be
an awful time for them right now.
Rest in peace Gene.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts