Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has installed a more expensive gel or AGM battery in their bike. I understand these batteries are a lot more durable, do not sulfate and can sit without losing its charge for 6 or 8 months. Definitely more expensive, approx $100, which is about 3x the price of a basic WalMart lead-acid battery. I'm not sure if a standard charger works with them, or is there a different amperage special charger. I intend to research the issue. BTW, i was able to remove the sulfation from my WalMart battery, fill with Epsom salt & distilled water, and recharge. It works like new again. For how long, I don't know..................

·
Registered
45 Posts
Just wondering if anyone has installed a more expensive gel or AGM battery in their bike. I understand these batteries are a lot more durable.............

Yes, DEKA or BIG CRANK.. Spins the starter on my CBX as if the spark plugs have been removed... And keeps the charge. No acid spills either..

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I always use these since my last bike had one. Long lasting and very forgiving. Got one for my CX from BatteryMart.com (as above) and so far so good.

·
Super Moderator
11,462 Posts
The DEKA brand I'd never heard of until I noticed that our forklift at work has a humongous one. I don't think that is a gel battery, but the name anyway was new to me.

I had a gel battery in my bike a few years ago, can't recall the brand. It was spendier, but not awful. Ironically, it must have suffered some internal flaw that completely immobilized my bike after only about 3 months. Never did find out what it was. I suspect an internal short of some sort, as it was dead as a rusty nail in a flash.

I've hesitated getting another one since, but that is probably more due to cost than anything. Several friends of mine have had very good results in both longevity and performance for many years.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I'm using the Motobatt in all my bikes.

Texas Toast Battery Cook-Off

Last few Walmart/Autozone crap batteries I bought were in the $40 range after returning the old one. I paid about $65 from the Motobatt dealer on ebay (including shipping). Not a huge difference in price and you get a two year warranty vs. the 30 to 90 day of those junk wet cell batteries.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I purchased a battery last year from Interstate battery. It appears very similar in design/construction(absorbed glass mat) to the one listed above. But I was surprised to see that it is made by Yausa, the OEM for Honda. It has no vent to spew out corrosive acid too.I think I paid around $60 for it.

A couple years ago I bought a true gel battery(not glass mat) for my mower and it has been impressive. It cranks like the plugs have been removed. But it was spendy.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm using the Motobatt in all my bikes.

Texas Toast Battery Cook-Off

Last few Walmart/Autozone crap batteries I bought were in the $40 range after returning the old one. I paid about $65 from the Motobatt dealer on ebay (including shipping). Not a huge difference in price and you get a two year warranty vs. the 30 to 90 day of those junk wet cell batteries.

George, how do they spin the turbo's engine? I've heard to best attributes of the AG/Gel batteries are their ability to hold a charge for several months without leaking or sulfating. Do they charge with a standard 1 or 2 amp motorcycle charger, or is something special needed? Just curious. It would be nice to know that I can leave the battery in the bike for 3 or 4 months and it will start right up.....

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I have an AGM battery I have been happy with for over a year. Cranks the bike good and fast, quick starts, holds a charge. I just let my bike sit for a month of below freezing nights and it started right up the other day (at10 F). No battery tender on it. I won't go back to a cheap battery again.

·
Registered
842 Posts
George, how do they spin the turbo's engine? I've heard to best attributes of the AG/Gel batteries are their ability to hold a charge for several months without leaking or sulfating. Do they charge with a standard 1 or 2 amp motorcycle charger, or is something special needed? Just curious. It would be nice to know that I can leave the battery in the bike for 3 or 4 months and it will start right up.....

I believe I've read things about special chargers but I think it's just dorks making life more complicated than it is. I've never really had a need to charge mine but if I do I'll just use my cheap high frequency charger set at 2 amps.

I've left my CXT sit for close to 3 months and it started but cranked a bit slow due to the power hungry VFD clock, I doubt it would make it 4 months. The Busa has next to no power drain while off, I park it in November and it starts in April like it was a freshly charged battery.

The battery listed for the CXT is MBTX14AU and is rated around 200 CCA. I think that test had a Motobatt starting a Triton V10 like 50 times, a low compression CXT engine won't pose a threat.

Downside is I don't currently see any on ebay and their website shows out of stock. Amazon lists them in stock through bikebatts for $61 + $11 shipping.

·
Registered
762 Posts
A few interesting related threads from the old board

Thread 1

Thread 2

The Deka factory isn't too far from me, so the last time I needed a battery I purchased one of their factory blemish 220CCA AGM batteries for about a 1/3 of the retail price. Prior to that I used to purchase interstate batteries AGM batteries and always had good luck with them.

Page 1 of this PDF from East Penn Manufacturing describes the differences between a GEL and AGM battery.

·
Registered
114 Posts
just ordered a big crank and will report back on how good/bad it works out.

had a noname gel battery on my gt750 for a year with no probs.

mark

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yes, George - NEVER forget that LCD clock in the turbo. It takes close on 0.25AH per day to keep it going and that's about 7 AH per month. With a good, new 14 AH battery ( which is the limit you can squeeze into the space in any CX), you MUST remember to recharge a turbo's battery within two months - whatever.

I don't think this limitation applies to any other CX/GL in factory standard trim.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.