Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
82 GL500, 78 CX500
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I suppose each of us has inadvertently in pulling the back cover off ended up stretching the gearshift spring. Well, there is a way of repairing a spring. It involves heat, compression, and fast cooling. Here is what I did.
Coil Circuit component Passive circuit component Cable Electronic component

This is the gearshift spring I stretched out when I took the rear cover off.

Tableware Table Dishware Cosmetics Wood

To repair the spring what I need was a cup of water to dip it in, a needle nose pliers to hold it, and a heat gun with two settings, HOT!, and HOT,HOT!

Cylinder Nickel Auto part Metal Titanium

Using the needle nose, I compressed the spring down to the original length and heated it using the heat gun set on maximum, HOT,HOT! Let it heat up on both sides for about a minute or so. Could be slightly less, or more than a minute. Next I dipped the spring into the cup of what and then set it down. After drying it a little, I checked it out. If I still needed to, I used the needle nose to compress the spring a second time and reheated it. Then, when it was hot enough, dipped it in water. Usually compressing and heating it twice was all it took.

Jewellery Gas Body jewelry Auto part Nickel

This is the repair gearshift spring ready to install. It does work. The only way heating and cooling it might not work is if the spring is broken. You might be able to bend it into the shape you need.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Have you installed it and tested it out yet?

·
Registered
82 GL500, 78 CX500
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, it does. After mounting, was able to shift the gears all the way through and then checked the length of the spring and it was the same. Not certain it will last longer than a new one, but for the time being, it works.

Crankset Tire Automotive tire Locking hubs Wheel

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
18,692 Posts
BTW: The way to avoid stretching the spring is to put your thumb on the gearshift shaft while lifting the cover off so that the shaft stays with the engine.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Fogillesville Joe had a run of these made a while back. he may still have some available.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
It would be nice to know if they are still available. (y)

·
Registered
425 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Will, there are still some available in the UK forum shop for a fiver
I didn't know there was a forum shop.. How do I get there?

And my name's Matthew.. :p

• Haha
Reactions: D-Fresh

·
Registered
425 Posts
I'm not a member of that shop. Hmm

1 - 15 of 15 Posts