Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one out there know if the cx500 gearbox front cover is common to all years, i.e a 78 compatable to an 82 modeal? mine has some cracks around the oil jet/valve/NRV, I can source one fairly cheap which is preferable to welding. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Sure it is really cracked? The mould casting process sometimes leaves krinkly traces which may look like cracks but are really just small sharp ridges on the surface.

Reactions: CXPHREAK

·
Super Moderator
21,125 Posts
Brink CX said that Murray.

One difference I have noted with these covers is that 78 covers lack a reinforcement ridge across the front that is present on later covers.

They still interchange across all models though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There definitely a blob of weld previously from a repair job, plus a few other hairline cracks in the surrounding area. The engine has 82k km, but from what I’ve seen so far has been looked after. But I am doing a full engine rebuild so I want the bike to be capable of another 40 years life after. Maybe hard to see from the picture.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The crack is coming from the weld towards my thumb, approx 1/5 along the metering valve housing.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I would think they are the same. I haven’t ever had to remove one so I don’t know from hands on experience. According to Partzilla they are the same part number. BTW that is called a crankshaft cap.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would think they are the same. I haven’t ever had to remove one so I don’t know from hands on experience. According to Partzilla they are the same part number. BTW that is called a crankshaft cap.
Great thanks for the info, I will check out partzilla also. Really appriciate you guys on here, I am sure i will be needing more help in the future.

·
Super Moderator
21,125 Posts
I think we need a closer photo. As Murray said some posts back about the trans cover still applies here - a lot of these castings have marks that have the appearance of cracks and I've never seen a trans holder cracked.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
heres a clearer picture,
I think we need a closer photo. As Murray said some posts back about the trans cover still applies here - a lot of these castings have marks that have the appearance of cracks and I've never seen a trans holder cracked.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I agree with the comments about casting flaws looking like cracks but because it has been welded and is part of the oil gallery, I am been cautious about this

1 - 20 of 26 Posts