Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Putting thing back together again after triple bypass and noticed that the gear shifting doesn't feel like it's working. Attaching a photo. The only part of the shift mechanism that was disassembled in the process was the left shaft to install a new spring. Any ideas?
Dan

Attachments

·
Registered
784 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,708 Posts
I've always found the best way to fit the rear cover is to fit the output shaft to the motor and an 8 mm stud or bolt with the head cut off fitted to the top hole.

The cover is put onto these as a guide and pushed straight back. The alignment is done for you.

Then fit 2 8 mm bolts to either side, nip up and check the shifting {while waggling the output shaft} before putting in and torquing the rest of the bolts.

Torque the 8 mm bolts before the 6 mm bolts.

Are the shift mechanisms 'claws' engaged with the pins here?

shift.JPG

·
Registered
332 Posts
I might have assumed wrong. I was thinking the shifting issue was discovered before attempting to install the cover based on the attached picture. Is the shifting issue with the cover on or off or both?

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I made the rookie mistake of not checking it before installing the cover, Had to remove it. But the shifting still doesn't feel right.
Dan

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got it. Thanks guys.
Murray, any luck finding that seat pan?
Dan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts