Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I cracked the rear case I managed to bend the gearshift spring a little. Probably not too bad but sometimes I worry more than I should. I haven't been able to find a replacement part. I'd read on the old forum that usually the spring is fine even if it gets a tad bent. Does mine look ok in the picture or does anyone know of a parts source? Also, I want to make sure shirt arm and spindle are aligned properly before sealing everything back up.

Thanks for any help. This projects been sitting about 2 years now and I finally regained momentum on it. Hoping to get it done before the nice spring weather leaves this part of Florida. I know I've read about these issues before so if there is already a post covering this I apologize. I haven't looked at CX stuff in awhile and was hoping to get input from a picture of my situation.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
I can see the alignment is wrong

Cant find a pic, so did a quick and dirty edit of yours to illustrate

how it should fit until someone has a better one.

you're not the first to drag off that spring so dont feel too bad

dont know about sourcing another

·
Registered
640 Posts
I see your spring is a bit stretched. I think you'll be fine using the old spring once you get your gears properly aligned. Getting the sector gears aligned properly is crucial. You won't be able to shift the way your sector gears currently are. Once you put the gears together properly and before you put the rear engine cover on, temporarily put the gear shift lever on and shift through the gears by hand to make sure everything feels right.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I see your spring is a bit stretched. I think you'll be fine using the old spring once you get your gears properly aligned. Getting the sector gears aligned properly is crucial. You won't be able to shift the way your sector gears currently are. Once you put the gears together properly and before you put the rear engine cover on, temporarily put the gear shift lever on and shift through the gears by hand to make sure everything feels right.
and,when you button up the rear cover,make sure you can get all your gears before you put the motor back in the frame

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the pictures and advice, it really cleared things up. Finally getting back working on it today. I gave it a shot and it shifts fine.

Should I put it in a particular gear before putting everything back together?

Thanks

Clay

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Thanks for the pictures and advice, it really cleared things up. Finally getting back working on it today. I gave it a shot and it shifts fine.

Should I put it in a particular gear before putting everything back together?

Thanks

Clay

not important,but,neutral has a nice ring about it

nice photo Clay......remember to check...all gears are obtainable before you refit the motor

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, its been apart long enough to have been cleaned a couple of times. Gives me confidence that whoever swapped it into the 78 frame new what they were doing. I actually found the replacement spring in some parts I ordered when I first cracked the engine so that has been swapped in and the old bent back to shape and saved for future fun.

Thanks to everyone's help I'm ready to seal the engine back up but have a few more questions.

1) Does it matter which way the water pump oil seal faces. I have the open side facing into the engine? i checked with a slight and the weep hole is still clear

2) My rear gasket is from honda and is slightly tacky. Should I use a sealant and if so on which (or both) halves of the case?

I just did a test fit and everything seemed to slide into place fairly easily.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I don't remember exactly but I think that you have the oil seal in correctly, it's been a while since I did mine. As for the gasket and sealant, I personally wouldn't use anything, especially since you can have your engine laying on its front as you put the rear cover on and your gasket should stay in place fairly easily.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
FYI,

I use i very thin smear of grease on both surfaces of the rear casing, just incase you have to crack it open at a later date, it will save your gasket......

Cheers.........keith........

·
Registered
20 Posts
Can an anyone tell me the part number for the oil seal pictured above? I ruined mine putting the rear cover back on. Then ordered two separate ones that both ended up being the wrong part. A link to where I can get one would be swell. Ya'll are the best!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Nevermind

Can an anyone tell me the part number for the oil seal pictured above? I ruined mine putting the rear cover back on. Then ordered two separate ones that both ended up being the wrong part. A link to where I can get one would be swell. Ya'll are the best!
Nevermind I found it. Thanks for a good thread anyway!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.