Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Given the small amount of hypoid gear oil that's needed (5.4 - 6.1 oz and fill the housing while on the centre stand per shop manual recommended procedures), why wouldn't it make more sense to use the side stand when filling with oil as I think based on the "lean factor" you'd simply get more oil in there - more from an assurance stand point that I've actually got enough oil in there, 'cause 5.4 oz seems pretty skimpy. If, using the "lean factor" you ended up putting in too great a volume of oil, wouldn't the breather cap would allow for expansion?...so no danger in overfilling? Is line of thought horribly bad? JC

·
Registered
511 Posts
I guess i'd fly with the manual reccomendations. Sometimes more ain't better. It might not hurt anything but you might get over bleed from the breather and then a mess.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Ditto.There's literally millions of these bikes that have been running fine over 30 years using the Manual's specs.Just change when you change the engine oil.Cheap and easy enough to do.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Is line of thought horribly bad

Not at all JC

but as said. enough's enough and you do risk having a dribbly rear end

I doubt its that crucial

Even with the lean angle of the side stand, I doubt you'd get a lot more in anyway

You can always try it though.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I got a little extra in mine by spinning the wheel while filling, but I can't remember which way (one way pulls oil into the housing & the other pushes it out). I have yet to have a drop of it to get out. Note, if you stop turning before putting the plug in, you get some oil back as change.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Like Shep said...just fill it level (not over) and change it whenever you change the oil. 1 normal sized bottle of gear oil should last you thru several fill-ups.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts