Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
CX500 registered 1979, but appears to be the first model also 2004 BMW F650GS
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1978-79 standard CX500
Probably an obvious answer, but looking at the position, I’m guessing I need to drain the oil to change this? I know on my old CB, you didn’t need to.

oil is not old, so a shame if I have to.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all, much appreciated. If I do it this week, I won’t be leaning it… :giggle:
Wheel Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Always worth remembering in other situations you can drop/catch oil in a "clinically clean container" if you have to...maybe more so if running synthetic...the price of most mineral oils doesn't necessitate that.....
Same applies for coolant....but use a non-metallic vessel to catch it.....
Can even use painters filters to filter.

Not advocating this as a general step...but if you add fluids...see a leak....then tend to it (fix it) its a option....
In both situations better to drain the fluid completely to re-use it rather than try to catch overflow as the latter will be more prone to contamination.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. I'll wait until the forks and wheel are on, as it's balancing at the mo. I'll pop a container under in case of more fluid.
I'm possibly going to try and change it without removing the exhaust system, but chances are I'll take it off to give me the chance to inspect all fittings anyway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts