Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys! Last week the time finally came to pick up my first motorcycle! And what a rust bucket it is hehe
I've made only one foto so your eyes won't start bleeding from seeing all the rusted chrome parts.
The bike is, as you can see clearly a CX500C and from 1985. With almost 40.000 km's behind it!
I've noticed the rear shocks are good old Dutch Koni's and hopefully in good condition.

2014-09-13130049_zpsdce9e5a4.jpg

I don't care about the rusted parts because I'm gonna replace it with stuff more my own taste.
A little cliché café racer style with personal touches. Clip-ons, rear sets repositioning, tidying up some wiring and other stuff, same size wheels and probably a lot more.
It's about the tinkering, engineering, learning and improving this diamond in the rough anyway :)
Some inspiration comes from the bike that the guys from Nozem Amsterdam built:

nozem-amsterdam-honda-cx500-cafe-racer-12_zps2688b54e.jpg
nozem_cx500_slide_1_zpscbfba8d6.jpg

And these:

6eea200c657bd4c8935aba87154bbe37_zpsfb019903.jpg

Mostly this one because I want to retain the H-box and airfilter boxes.
I like the smoothnes of the engine more than the great look of a stainless steel exhaust and pod filters.
And the same size front and rear wheel does it for me. I think the difference in rim sizes is bloody ugly.

CX500-cafe-racer_zpsd8dfc0fd.jpg

I hope I'll make a lot of friends here, just like I did when I had my turbocharged Miata and was active on those forums.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Hello and welcome! The bike looks pretty good from way over here! lol

Good luck with the build and I look forward to reading about it as you go :)

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I'm not officially the owner yet so I can't start riding and modding just yet.
The current owner had lost one of the three papers to sign over the bike. Now we're waiting for the RDW (similar to DMV, here in the Netherlands) to send new paperwork.
She let me take the bike home, only if I promised that I wouldn't ride it after I got home. Good that I'm patient :)

·
Registered
817 Posts
Welcome, Volendam is one of my favourite Netherlands towns. Wife and I had three brilliant days there in 2013. We were touring around on our Rocket111 and loved all the waterways and boats.

Reactions: Volaussie

·
Registered
637 Posts
That's a nice bike to perform a build on. Keep us updated with your progress.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It has begun :)

My working space is very small but I'm going to make the best out it. Kinda cozy actually.

Sent with Tapatalk

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Haha Rockman just kidding. That's just a lovely nook to stash the bike in.
I'm going to overhaul the front fork. After that I can roll it out for more room and work on it.

And I ordered stuff this evening.
A seat,
Megaton mufflers in matt black,
tracker bar in black,
round bar end mirrors also in black,
Turnsignal lights,
Oval tail light,
Awesome telescopic stick with on one side a magnet and on the other a mirror! How about that?!
a nylon hammer,
and a free magnetic bowl.

Ow yeah and a 80°C KSD301 N/O coolant temp switch. Still waiting for a reply on my email about a '08 Ducati 848 fan.

Sent with Tapatalk

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't think so. At least I'm not very familiar with Mexico. I've heard it's a beautiful country.
(Rockman is how Megaman, your avatar pic, was called at first.)

Sent with Tapatalk

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Aha! But ofcourse. Megaman is blue :)
Is Holland well known in Mexico?

Sent with Tapatalk

·
Registered
76 Posts
Aha! But ofcourse. Megaman is blue :)
Is Holland well known in Mexico?

Sent with Tapatalk
Well... we are still hurt because of you, guys. You know... the whole World Cup thing. I mean... you guys eliminated us from the tournament with a penalty. But it wasn't a penalty! it was a clear dive by Arjen Robben!

Haha.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm not into football, I forgot hahaha that's good football nowadays... As fake as acting.

Sent with Tapatalk

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've sold some left over parts of the turbocharged MX-5 I used to have.
With that money I ordered the '08 Ducati 848 fan.
The forks are also disassembled. But I'm to busy to order new seals. And I can't make up my mind what to do with the springs...
Hyperpro progressive, Sonic Springs linear, stock long spring with a spacer.... can someone give me some advise?

It's getting dark sooner and sooner... I need some extra light.

Sent with Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 176 Posts