Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of 1:7 cafe style gauges on their way to me. I'd like to set up so that the choke is between them. They are 1:7 ratio, speedo and tach. Wondering if any companies make stock brackets to mount the new gauges to, or should I make a custom template, and bring to a shop to have milled from aluminum? I've see 1 online for sale, but it doesn't seem to fit my bike.

·
Super Moderator
23,713 Posts
You can cut 6mm. or so aluminium with a series of small drilled holes , hacksaw and cold chisel.

As crude as it sounds, once filed to final shape and bevelled,these home made parts can come up nice, especially once polished.

It can also be bent in a soft jawed vice with a hammer and piece of wood to a certain point if you need to angle your gauges.

You can also cluster after market individual idiot lights and get rid of the idiot light cluster. Which is the whole point. You can build whatever suits you

Mock up on cardboard, make in alloy.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks man. I am thinking my best bet would be something custom like you've suggested. I know a lot of sign shops have routers and cut aluminum (for cut alum. letters, signs) I am thinking the cleanest/safest bet would be getting a sign shop to cut the shape once I have it digital/vectorized on the computer.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
if you lived closer, I would send you the cardboard then haha.

Called a local sign shop, of course the girl who answered the phone claimed their router doesn't do that, then after talking to the owner he said "of course, send over the artwork"

so my question is, do I need to have the bracket attach to the original 2 bolts, or should I go to the struts? anyone got a sample or example that can inspire me?

·
Super Moderator
23,713 Posts
Me, I'd go for the standard mounting points and then sort of visualise what it is you want to change or achieve

and doodle a few up and start cutting cardboard.

I'd also think about getting one of those LED charge indicators so it could be incorporated at the same time.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Me, I'd go for the standard mounting points and then sort of visualise what it is you want to change or achieve

achieve and doodle a few up and start cutting cardboard.

I'd also think about getting one of those LED charge indicators so it could be incorporated at the same time.

yeah, will do this. And yeah, got the LED speedo on it's way. I dislike (a lot) the stock indicator cluster.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.