Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1980 Honda CX500C
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you are familiar with my gauges I did last winter. While they came out nice, they were useless in the dark as the decals were not transparent and didnt let light shine through. So, back to the drawing board. What do you get when you combine EL Neon String and gauges? something surely unique! So began the process.

I glued the neon wire into the metal ring as shown to hide it from view. the light will shine down onto the gauges.

To cut down on power consumption and extend the life of the components (the string shouldnt ever go bad, but the transformers probably will), I am going to hook the transformers up to a relay, and the relay will be actuated my a light-sensitive device so they only turn on in the dark and when the bike is on. I will also wire in a override switch to I can turn the stuff on for demo purposes. If this turns out well, i will probably add other green accent lighting on the bike in other places.

Here is what I started with

And here is the progress thus far. The tape is temporary while the glue dries, then the tape will be removed and that section will be Epoxied. (the rest is super-glued)

Here is a section of the string

And here it is lit up. because of the location, the light should shine down onto the plates, illuminating them with a neon green glow.

I will post more pics when I get the gauge re-assembled.

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
Now that is an interesting mod. Seems like a why not. You already have the gauge apart and open. How much is does the string light cost?

·
Registered
1980 Honda CX500C
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now that is an interesting mod. Seems like a why not. You already have the gauge apart and open. How much is does the string light cost?

Its pretty cheap. got this for 7 bucks/5 foot. they have it in longer lengths too. buying it at the store its usually about $25/5 foot. hopefully these transformers last. If not, I'll just source some different ones with the same specs. no big deal. The string shouldn't go bad for a few thousand hours at least.

You also have to be careful when trimming it down, there are tiny wires wrapped around the "core" and when you cut it, the end can short. you have to strip the tip of it and pull the tiny wire back from the end.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0529618250&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT

·
Registered
1980 Honda CX500C
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I should also note that i covered the areas of the wire that i DONT want to shine light with shrink tubing.

·
Registered
1980 Honda CX500C
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
993 Posts
How much room do you need? Reason I ask is...couldn't you put them between the frame and tank area and be closer to the instruments...

Use some di-electric grease if you need heat dissipation and mount the transformer to a metal lid of a small project box and seal the box with RTV and tuck it into a spot under the tank above the motor.

·
Registered
1980 Honda CX500C
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am not sure exactly how much room is needed. The transformers are already sealed, so that isn't an issue. Wherever is most hidden is where they will be mounted

·
Registered
1980 Honda CX500C
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I have one put together. If you use this stuff, USE CARE when trimming down......i have another set of this stuff coming for the other gauge, and I WILL NOT be cutting it down to size. if this fails on this side, it will be because of the core electrode shorting against the wires....its a PITA to strip the end and separate everything successfully.

it isnt as bright as i would like, i am going to coil up the other 4.5 feet or so in the underside of the gause to see if the ambient light will shine up. if it works, I will strip the heat shrink off this one and coil it up as well.

Although it isnt quite as bright as i would like, it looks good. it offers sufficient illumination for night time, and is pretty subtle, it doesnt scream for attention.

Sorry about the crappy pic, the camera wont focus in the dark very well..

·
Registered
40 Posts
I liked the way your guages lookd at first but this is definatley something cool to watch and follow your progress.

·
Registered
1980 Honda CX500C
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, little update.

This part of the project is my way of being so lazy that I over-complicate things. I didnt want to turn these on manually, but I didnt want them to be on 24/7 either.

I got the photo-switch and got it assembled. I changed a few things, as I didnt want the whole mess exposed.

I attached the light sensor to wires so I could inconspicuously and remotely hide the sensor somewhere that gets light. the thing is supposed to be attached to the board...no thanks. The board also requites a 12V power source, but the power block that was supposed to be attached to the board was for a AC adapter for use in home configurations. I just attached wires to it as well. This board has a built in relay that will control the on/off of the transformers, so it will simplify my wiring. It also has a sensitivity switch. pretty cool device.

I plan on coating the whole thing in a sealer of some kind, probably just clear coat so it will keep the water out and corrosion off.

Unless someone has a better suggestion? I am all ears.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n313/NightBiker07/CX 500/100_2099.jpg

·
Registered
1980 Honda CX500C
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, got the other one done and both of them 100% re-assembled. I like the outcome. Not too bright, but not too dim. Adds a nice accent.

I will update when everything is installed on the bike (hopefully tomorrow)

·
Registered
1980 Honda CX500C
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I know the lighting doesnt look uniform, but it is. Camera angle trick lol

Best part is, when they are off, you cant tell I made a single change.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Ok, got the other one done and both of them 100% re-assembled. I like the outcome. Not too bright, but not too dim. Adds a nice accent.

I will update when everything is installed on the bike (hopefully tomorrow)

Love it!

·
Registered
1980 Honda CX500C
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Honestly...considering using this idea once the bike is done.

Just know that the light isnt super bright. It is adequate to see the gauge in the dark, but not as good as the stock lighting was before I touched the gauges the first time. But the accent is cool

·
Registered
1980 Honda CX500C
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok, I have everything mounted nicely under the right side cover where the tool stuff would have been at one time.

The transformers are for the Neon wire in the gauges. they fit behind that tab perfectly. I had to extend the wires going from the transformers to the E.L. Wire in the gauges.

The night switch is a light/dark switch. I will mount the light sensor up by the instrument cluster, and it will turn the gauge lighting on and off automatically when it gets dark. I'm so lazy i over-complicate things.

The control relay controls the incoming 12V power. When the bike's key is off, no power is transmitted to the photovoltaic switch.

This is all fused coming off the battery using a 15A blade-fuse housing and fuse, in case a wire rubs through, the bike wont catch fire.

the "future site of turn signal relay" is a simple one. Instead of the turn signal flasher operating the turn signals, it will operate the coil of a relay. I will hook the turn signals up to the Normally Closed relay contacts so the turn signals are always ON.

What this will do is instead of the turn signals being OFF-ON-OFF, they will be ON-OFF-ON. basically its just for safety, more light coming from the bike is better for visibility, but the turn signals will still operate properly. I plan to go to a LED lamp for the turn signals to cut down on the power consumption.

And I already have a LED flasher installed on the bike, so the changed load will have no effect on the flashing.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts