Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now I've got a 78 cx500 with the stock gauges and everything up by the handle bars Is all stock. Frankly I hate the way it looks, I have a 1940's police spotlight that I'd like to fab into a new headlight and I'd like to get a single gauge that looks something similar to this

2.5" Black Mini Speedometer with Black Face LED Indicator Lights | 2.5" Mini Cafe Racer Speedometer

Is there something like this that would combine tachometer spedo and possibly temp? Note that it has led's for all the indicators.

Now, I know little to no lingo about this stuff. Can I just slap any ol gauge on my bike? I've read a little about gear ratios and that kinda thing. I feel like I'm going in blind here though. Also how hard of a task am I about to take on?

·
Super Moderator
3,258 Posts
If you're using the mechanical cables to get your speedo and tacho measurements you have to get the correct ratios. See here:

https://motofaction.org/motorcycles/honda-cx-gl/speedometer-and-tachometer-ratios-honda-cx500-gl500-cx650-gl650-cx400-gl400

You can get all-in-ones that draw their tacho reading from one of the high tension leads, and speedos that get their reading from a magnet on the wheel.

There are all-in-ones that do temp as well - Acewell do a couple if I recall correctly - but I don't think any are that cheap. Koso is worth a look too.

·
Super Moderator
11,451 Posts
No matter what way you want to go, only a fool would run without a temp gauge and a tachometer that were accurate.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts