Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got the nerve up to run until I needed to switch over to the "reserve" position. Got to 335 km (208 mi), some major engine stuttering...switched over to reserve...all OK again. Pulled into a gas station only 1km from switching on to reserve. Took 16.1 litres (4.25 US Gal or 3.5 Imp. Gal). Fuel mileage was 49 MPG - US or 58.75 MPG - Imp. Gal.

The question is....what amount of fuel was left over in the tank when I needed to go to reserve? When I popped off the fuel lock, I shook the bike side to side, but didn't see (or hear) any fuel. Obviously there must have been some in there...but how much?

I guess the real answer is to have a couple of litres (pre-measured) of fuel in a separate container on board, then do this exercise over again, but this time drive with the reserve "on" until it runs out. Add the carried fuel, drive to the nearest gas station and fill up. Calculating the fuel needed to fill (including the fuel added from the container) to fully understand how much fuel is on board when initially hitting the reserve postion.

However, before I actually do this (yes I probably will do it sometime), if you know the volume of fuel in the tank when the reserve go on, I'd appreciate knowing...and hearing from you. JC

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
I don't have a turbo manual but all the other manuals cx/gl seem to state that it is .7 us or .5 imp for those models.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
 The book of old articles I have says the 650E has a 4.2 gal tank, and I'm assuming that's probably British gallons because the price is in pounds.  My deluxe has a 4.5 gal tank US, and I'd need to check the manual again but I think mine goes into reserve with 0.9 gals left.  I am usually able to put about 3.6 gals into the tank when I hit reserve. 

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
As a side note ... once in a while run on the reserve setting for 40-50 miles after filling your tank. any moisture that is in the tank tends to settle to the bottom of the tank and this procedure helps to eliminate the moisture.

Don't forget to put the shut-off back to the normal position after doing this ... it can be embarrassing otherwise pushing the bike to a gas station.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.