Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang,

Getting close to having all the components to rebuild one of my two builds.

Question regarding the tabs that connect the fuel cover lock.

One of the tabs on my is missing/broken.

With the tank look I am going for I'd like to just remove these two tabs as I am looking to fill the indentations smooth to the tank.

Are these soldered on from the factory or will I need to cut/grind them off?

I just bought two tanks that are 9.5/10, both I plan on doing this to. I do have a spare tank that I'd have to dig up that I can test this out on, but wondering if anyone here's removed them before I jump in.

Thanks

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've actually decided that I am going to get a flush mount gas cap installed, so I will leave this to the pros.

I've bought two great condition deluxe tanks each for $500+ and don't want to have a paperweight on my hands... they're getting too hard to come by in mediocre condition... I know my limits

Have some really cool ideas that I will be putting on this build, can't wait to get going in the next couple of weeks and sharing progress.

·
Super Moderator
4,289 Posts
Is there any evidence that the lock tabs were spot welded? If so, drilling or milling out the spot welds might be an option to grinding.

Reactions: CXPHREAK

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
spring is also missing, but the tab that's closest to the gas cap looks to be broken, that knurled down section is straight across on my other deluxe gas tank.

·
Super Moderator
21,647 Posts
It's not damaged. Some were like that .... for some reason.

Check this thread out.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow @CXPHREAK this changes everything!

May keep the original gas cap setup on both builds now. Looking for a new pin and new caps for both tanks now. Have perfect covers with keys so this is great news.

Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
21,647 Posts
The main image here is the early 78 tank and cap components.

The smaller image {not visible in your pic} is the later components and these are the parts that will match your tank.

·
Super Moderator
21,647 Posts
Actually .... I think you were right the first time.

Honda only updates what they feel they need to for these pics. The cap cover shown is actually the early one in both pictures but I guess the correct components are in the first pic you posted.

Sorry for any confusion.

·
Registered
9,736 Posts
#11 is what you're missing. Hard to find NOS. Maybe available used, but I suspect they're easily lost, so rare.
You could recreate it from a wire coat hanger, if you have a pattern.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yea, i'm going to dig through all the spare parts I have think I actually saw one somewhere. If I can find it, I'll make another one w a coat hanger to have a stronger spare or a newer replacement.

If I can't I'll use the below as a template and get to heating and bending. I'll report back.

Thanks!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I knew I had this somewhere, just cleaned the garage to get things in order for the second bike coming back next week.

The metal is not even as dextrous as a close hanger, definitely more spring like, such an odd design. Tested it out and it works!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts