Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live out in the country and until recently had not been riding into town much so I was having the ol' lady fill up a 5 gallon can with gas every week so I could gas up the bike to go to and from work. The bike is a cold blooded beast to start in the mornings or after sitting a while.

Last night I filled up at a station and rode home, about 12 miles. Today I took the truck to town and picked up some Sea Foam and this evening poured it in the tank. I figured I'd take 'er for a spin to shake the tank up and BEHOLD! She fired right up and ran like a champ! I guess fresh gas makes a difference...duh!?!

I feel like such a dumbass.

That being said...a fellow rider told me a few weeks ago that I should be running premium gas because the o-rigs and seals for these older bikes weren't made to handle the ethanol in todays fuels and could deteriorate. Anyone got a take on this?

·
Super Moderator
23,403 Posts
Ethanol apparently does attack rubber. Fortunately we don't need to worry much about it here yet as we can still easily buy real petrol with petrol in it instead of food.

I think our government will soon fall over themselves to appear green and progressive though......

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Yup. Find a station that doesnt sell diluted fuel. Avoid ethenol methenol or whatever other crap they dilute their gas with. I have a Citco gas station in town, and I almost never get gas anywhere else. I'm not sure if there are acv valves and stuff in neoprene to replace our rubber ones. But that would be nice.

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts
Always run 87 there is no benefit in paying more.

Gas that sits always acts like water is in it these days. Seems like the good stuff evaporates off and we're left with something not worth $4 a gallon.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
That being said...a fellow rider told me a few weeks ago that I should be running premium gas because the o-rigs and seals for these older bikes weren't made to handle the ethanol in todays fuels and could deteriorate. Anyone got a take on this?

Common mistake is thinking premium = less or zero ethanol. Ethanol is a regional additive, some parts of the country HAVE to use it and others can use real 100% gasoline. Either way I'm pretty sure it's a legal requirement to label it on the pump, if it doesn't say "ethanl 10%" or similar you should be good using 87. Here's a map:

http://pure-gas.org/extensions/map.html

·
Registered
226 Posts
You can usually find a local gas station that sells real gasoline. We have one that is only two pumps, but has a giant sign that reads "We Sell Real Gasoline, No Corn"

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Maybe if enough people choose to only fill up at the stations where there are no additives, demand will change the other stations that are adding junk.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Maybe if enough people choose to only fill up at the stations where there are no additives, demand will change the other stations that are adding junk.

no that's when Big Brother steps in and mandates everyone adds, additives.

·
Registered
227 Posts
ALL the gas stations in the northern part of Illinois have only 10% Ethanol blended gasoline. The biggest issue I've found is lower MPG because of the lower BTUs in alcohol.

I have always used 89 octane in my GL.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Cool beans, though I don't think I'll ride down there each time I need a fillup - LOL

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I add at lest an ounce of Berrymans B-12 to every tank of gas. Our bikes run better with it. Seafoam works great too, but it's a lot more expensive and it's been my experience that it doesn't work any better than Berrymans.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Still slow to start after sitting for several hours. I'm going to go ahead and do a rebuild on the extra set of carbs I have and try them out. I think I may have an issue with the choke cable being stretched therefore not getting enough chokage and I'll look into that as well.

Good to know about the gas issues! I've always been a believer in B-12 so I'll start using it. Thanks for the tip, Stubby!

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
No problem. I use enough of it, that I am going to check out the price on the one gallon and five gallon size. I use it in my riding mower and snow blower as well, so it will most likely be more economical to buy the large size.

Here's a little tip: buy a 4 oz baby bottle at the dollar store, it works great to measure out the correct amount.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Going for a little cruise around town today, I noticed a gas station that just changed. The sign said that they do not sell ethanol anymore! I hope this is the trend!

·
Registered
8,423 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks a million, Shep!!!

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Thanks a million, Shep!!!

No problem.Do the Starter 1st.It can make a really big difference and they are pretty easy to do.The main part is making the brush holding plate bare and clean and where it sits into the casing bare and clean.That's a common dirty/corroded ground point after 30 years of neglect

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I live out in the country and until recently had not been riding into town much so I was having the ol' lady fill up a 5 gallon can with gas every week so I could gas up the bike to go to and from work. The bike is a cold blooded beast to start in the mornings or after sitting a while.

Last night I filled up at a station and rode home, about 12 miles. Today I took the truck to town and picked up some Sea Foam and this evening poured it in the tank. I figured I'd take 'er for a spin to shake the tank up and BEHOLD! She fired right up and ran like a champ! I guess fresh gas makes a difference...duh!?!

I noticed a small hole in my tank last year so I sealed and welded the tank (ok, so I had someone else weld, I just sealed it..) When it was being put back together I replaced the plugs and for winter storage (mid-November-ish) until March/April I filled it full of new gas, added seafoam, turned the petcock off and let it run til it stopped.

Mind you, I could never get it started cold last year. Ever. It just wouldn't cooperate. When I brought it out for the season I thought it would be dumb to even bother trying to start it after sitting all winter..... but she fired right up.

Plugs, new gas, seafoam... that's it, I was thrilled!

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
I have seen (and used) Seafoam here in Canada (and yea, it is expensive) but have not heard of B-12 before this thread. Does anyone have a link to it or who may sell it, as if it works as well as seafoam it would be nice to have an alternate and cheaper product (but who knows in Canada)

I try to use the top octane gas here, only because at most stations it states its the only blend that uses no ethanol. At about $1.65 a litre (about $7.50 a gallon) its starting to get expensive to fill my poor little tank :-(

1 - 20 of 33 Posts