Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm the original owner of my CX500, only has 10K miles - has not been ridden for 6 years. Did all the usual stuff to get it ready and it started right up, but it's leaking gas like crazy. As soon as I turn the valve to On it flows from the T bar between the carbs. Looking at it, all I see is the main gas tube connected to the metal T tube which goes into each carb - can't figure out how or why that would leak. Appears a though the leaking may be at the point where the T tube goes into the side of the carbs - perhaps there are O rings there that need to be replaced? Just looking for a POV before I unnecessarily take stuff apart. If you have an idea, I'm all ears...

·
Super Moderator
21,136 Posts
There is a 5.8 x 2 mm O ring on either end of the fuel transfer T'

Alternatively, your carb needles aren't sealing and the fuel is coming from the atmospheric vents just above where the fuel t connects to the carbs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate your consideration & possible solutions...

Thank you - I will check...

There is a 5.8 x 2 mm O ring on either end of the fuel transfer T'

Alternatively, your carb needles aren't sealing and the fuel is coming from the atmospheric vents just above where the fuel t connects to the carbs.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I stopped using my CX for a few years (didn't fancy changing the water pump mech seal yet again - until I found 'Sheps' method), so when I went to restart it after fixing it I had a similar problem. The fuel wasn't leaking as bad as yours, only very slowly weeping out (not really even dripping much before evaporating), but once the fuel had been on for a few hours (with the bike out in the open!), the weeping stopped completely. I can only surmise that one of the o-rings that had previously always been in contact with fuel had dried up and shrunk a little while the bike was laid up, and has now swollen again to make a seal. It's been fine since the bike gets used more now. Of course, one of your o-rings may have split.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts