Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just took my 1980 cx 550 custom out of storage, and I have been noticing that I smell gas when I ride. It has also come to my attention that the tank will empty without driving it. So my question is where would you look for gas leaks? I do also want to note that I did drop the bike last year right before putting it up. The damage seemed to be cosmetic only seeing out it still runs great, but now I am not so sure.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Check the overflow tubes in the carb bowl for cracks other probable cause is a problem with the float needle not sealing properly.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Do you see any dripping from the overflows under the bike?
Most likely it is the needle valves are sticking open or not seating due to varnish on them.
In the mean time, remember to shut off the petcock when the bike is not running until you clean the carbs.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
If you're losing that much gas, you might be able to spot the leak with the bike on the center stand and the petcock open (and enough gas in the tank to be feeding the carbs.) Look for gas leaking out of the joint between the carb bodies and the float bowls - if those gaskets are old and compressed, this is a prime spot for leakage. Also look at the sides of the carbs where the brass fuel tee pipe plugs into them - the o-rings that seal that pipe into the carb bodies might be a culprit. It results in gas dripping right down the carb sides. Check the float bowl drain screws. If they're not tight, or the o-ring at the tip is bad, they can leak either out the drain hose or out the back end of the drain screw socket. In addition, all that's been said in the previous posts.

PS: Easy stuff first - check your fuel hose connection to the petcock. I've been known to forget to tighten the hose clamp I use.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Start at the tank... petcock leaking where it is mounted to the underside of the tank? Petcock housing leaking? Hose from petcock to carb leaking? Carbs leaking?
I mention the hose from the tank because sometimes they crack, often right at the edge of whatever sort of clamp is on there. Or the clamp may be loose, etc. Takes a couple of minutes to remove said hose, and examine it. If you have an inline filter somewhere between tank and carbs that might be suspect, too. I had the nipple crack on mine, leaked like crazy... one reason I don't use them anymore.

·
Super Moderator
23,404 Posts
Check the tank around where the front mountings are attached to the tank.

Mine had been dropped when I got it and had a pulled spotweld on the tank mount.

Fixed with por 15 tank liner 7 years ago .... still going strong. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts