Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I recently purchased a '79 Deluxe. When I bought it the float needles were stuck and fuel was leaking out the airpods everytime you opened the petcock. I fixed that issue but noticed there's a crack in the top of the coolant reservoir and am now quite sure some of the dripping fuel went into the reservoir (the previous owner said he'd been driving the bike around for about a month with the float needle issue, so lots of chances for leaking fuel into get into the reservoir.

Is this something to be concerned about? Anything I can do besides take the whole engine off to replace the reservoir?

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
To replace the coolant reservoir you have to remove the engine(or at least tip it and leave it connected in the front). I doubt much fuel could have gotten into the reservoir and if it did has probably evaporated anyhow. When you remove the cap can you smell fuel? You can install some type of aftermarket coolant bottle and just get rid of your existing one if you want to and don't mind modifications.

·
Registered
9,025 Posts
To evacuate the reservoir, detach the hose from the radiator neck and blow compressed air into the overflow tube. The hose to the radiator draws from the bottom, so every drop in the bottle will be expelled.

·
Super Moderator
4,054 Posts
With carbs leaking like that, I'd be more concerned about fuel in the oil.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hadn't thought to detach the hose from the radiator, makes perfect sense, will try that. Yup, worried about fuel in the oil as well. Have changed the oil now, but I'm worried about how long it was being driven around with the carbs leaking that.

thanks for the feedback! helpful as always

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
remove the water from the reservoir , then let it stand for a while with the cap off. The gasolene thats left in there will just evaporate .

Or poke a hose in and add more water from the bottom untill the liquid spills out. Keep doing that until you have completely flushed the reservoir and changed the water

Reactions: Jonny
1 - 7 of 7 Posts