Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran across a 83 Honda VT500 Ascot that looked to be in great cosmetic shape. The seller is definitely not the type to wrench on it himself and knows little about engines. He said it leaked gas out of the carbs so I jumped to the conclusion the needle valves were stuck. Not only that, but he didn't shut the petcock, allowing a tankful of gas to slowly drain through the cylinders into the crankcase.

When I twisted the dipstick to check the oil, the gas and oil mixture came gushing out.

Is this a deal breaker at any price, or an ok fix? What should I expect to replace?

I seem to remember this question coming up before, but I can't find it.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
The gas & oil mix in the crankcase shouldn't cause any permanent harm to the bearings. I might not do the stator any good if it has been covered for an extended period. Other than that, I don't think it would be a deal breaker to me. But it sure would be a deal maker. Talk to him about the stator being shot, the bearings maybe ruined, the seals blown out and then ask him how much he will pay you to haul it off.

Then fix the carbs and put new oil in and go.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Agree with Blue Fox, the gas will not hurt the engine bits (even the stator epoxy is gas immune), as long as you dont try to start it. Turning it over a lot will have the oil films wash off where they need to be, leaving metal on metal. Starting it will screw the main bearings in only a few min's. I would say, unless it sat like this for many years, even the rubber seals would be ok. I would use this as an oportunity to look at the seller as if someone droped a frag in the tank.... and then play lets make a deal

·
Registered
816 Posts
dc, if it were me I would be whealin and dealin to get that Ascot in my garage and running again. I like the Ascot and think it's a cool bike. Good luck on the project if you get it.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,198 Posts
David, I knew we were a lot alike. I've been wanting an Ascot twin ever since I learned that they have 6 gears. Too bad (or maybe it's good) that I don't have the extra space. The only thing the Ascot lacks is a SuperSport-style mini-fairing around the ugly rectangular headlight.

Buy it, fix it, and give me a chance to drool over it!

R

·
Registered
101 Posts
It's common that a little gas will be in the oil.. just wanna make sure the oil is thick enough to do it's job. If it's super thin and runs like water... then it's obviously got too much gas in it.. this is a pretty common carb problem.

Also matters how long it's been sitting like that, as some parts that are rubber will be eaten by long exposure to gasoline.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone. Based on what I read here I bought the bike. I paid $500 for it and feel I did ok. It has a newer custom paint job and is in otherwise clean condition. The entire tank had drained into the engine and it has been cranked about five times that I know of, but the oil still wasn't completely blended into the gas. I drained the gas and hopefully I'll be able to fix the float valves this weekend and put new oil in. If I get her started should I plan to change the oil in about 500 miles?

Shep, I realize I'm taking a risk here, but thanks to everyone's help I feel it is a calculated one. If the engine ends up being toast I can replace it and still have my money's worth.

I just wish there were an Ascot forum half as good as the CX500 forum!

·
Registered
11,198 Posts
I'd walk away from it.You do not know if the engine has been run with the oil in that condition.
If the engine ends up being toast I can replace it and still have my money's worth.
Unless I'm mistaken, the later Acsot shares an engine with the more common VT500C Shadow, so sourcing parts shouldn't be difficult.

Nice find, David!

R

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Thanks everyone. Based on what I read here I bought the bike. I paid $500 for it and feel I did ok. It has a newer custom paint job and is in otherwise clean condition. The entire tank had drained into the engine and it has been cranked about five times that I know of, but the oil still wasn't completely blended into the gas. I drained the gas and hopefully I'll be able to fix the float valves this weekend and put new oil in. If I get her started should I plan to change the oil in about 500 miles?

Shep, I realize I'm taking a risk here, but thanks to everyone's help I feel it is a calculated one. If the engine ends up being toast I can replace it and still have my money's worth.

I just wish there were an Ascot forum half as good as the CX500 forum!

At $500 it's not such a bad deal if that oil contamination is just a minor thing

·
Registered
11,198 Posts
The only thing the Ascot lacks is a SuperSport-style mini-fairing around the ugly rectangular headlight.
It appears that Honda did exactly that for the European market, where they sold it as the VT500E.

It's perfect with the fairing, IM(NS)HO.

R

·
Registered
101 Posts
great looking cx for 500 bucks.. Fix those carbs and change that oil..

I had to drain and replace my oil about 5 times.. had the exact same problem.. Just make sure when your done and the bike has been running you check your oil to make sure it's still nice and oily ;P

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Got the oil changed and put fresh gas in. I smacked the carb bodies with a screwdriver handle and the float valves unstuck, but I will clean the carbs the first chance I get.

After a light fogging of the cylinders it started right up. Thhe clutch seems to slip a bit, but maybe that is residual gas on the clutch plates. I'm hoping it will go away as the oil works it's way through the basket a little better.

So far so good!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts