Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Deluxe tank on Cragslist and mounted it to my Custom (not too hard actually!)

I have been doing the old sand & prime routine for a week. It is getting close!

The shortcoming of this tank is the top piece that covers the gas cap.

The latch mechanism is missing and the whole thing is badly pitted.

I have been looking for a replacement (and still hoping one will materialize) but

is there another avenue I should consider?

Thanks for any suggestions!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I was thinking about cutting out the whole recess and transplanting a moto guzzi style filler cap or something similar.

Or cutting/grinding off the tabs for the locking lid and using a strong filler thatll withstand the vibrations and filling the area around the cap so the top of the tank would be all one surface but then itd slope down right around the cap. Kinda creating a basin so to speak right around the cap. So pretty much everything within these black circles would be filled to match the contour of the tank.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is not a bad idea. If i can't find the latch, i might try that.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i am missing something here (wouldn't be the 1st time).

What needs to be welded?

My tank is near perfect except for the hinged cap cover.

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
i am missing something here (wouldn't be the 1st time).

What needs to be welded?

My tank is near perfect except for the hinged cap cover.

If you want to do what the other guy has done you will need welding.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I talked to the body shop guy at my work and explained my filling idea and he said its going to be real hard to fill all the area and not get cracks later. He showed me some special filler that has fiberglass weave in it and he said that might work as a good base and then just do final work with multiple layers of bondo. He said filling it with weld or cutting out the whole section and using new sheet metal would be ideal but very time consuming. So Im not sure what Ill do yet but if I can find a filler that I like Ill just cut new sheetmetal and weld it in.

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
Just look for some short strand kitty hair body filler. Bondo and evercoat make it just fine. Just make sure the cap stick up high enough or replace it with another so it doesn't come in contact with the area being filled. I bought an aftermarket cap for my custom and it allowed me to remove 1/4 inch more of the cap with a grinder if needed.

You want to strip the area around the gas cap. Remove the front mounting hole by grinding it off or some other method. Maybe a cutting wheel. Rough up the area with some 36 grit sandpaper or grinding disc. When everything is cleaned up mask off the area you don't want filler on the tank and the fill hole. Then mix up enough fiberglass filler to cover most of the area you want to disappear. Act fast because it doesn't take long for it to set up. Then walk away from it.

After a decent amount of time come back to it and grind down the fiberglass filler with a 36 grit grinding disk. I have some 3M 3 inch discs on an angle grinder or drill they work fine.

Now if you don't know anything about body work. You have to know that if you have a quarter sized dent to fill in order to make it disappear you need to cover an area about the size of your fist with filler otherwise it will show through.

For me I do the fiberglass filler, then bondo to a bigger area and then glaze to an even bigger area. Then I prime it with 3 coats. Remember there is sanding in between each step.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Evercoat. Thats the stuff the body guy showed me. It was kinda purpleish. Im gonna do some research for different aftermarket caps before I really start tearing into this.

And just for the record Ive got a pretty good feel for body work and body. I shaved the emblem mounts and filled several dents on both me and my brothers tanks. Been a couple years and my tank still doesnt have any cracks or flaking so I guess I did things right.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I can get you a cap and latch with Key.... 80$ shipped to lower 48usa.

I know that's expensive or at least more than I'd be able to pay... I work part for a friend who owns a cycle salvage biz here. It's a business for us...

tried to Pm... board would not cooperate
let me know if you're interested

Vox--- Jeff

·
Registered
840 Posts
My question is related and fits under this thread's title:

I do not have a deluxe tank yet, so I haven't had a chance to play around, but I don't like the latching mechanism on the Deluxe tank that I went and looked at yesterday. Has anyone (and, again, maybe it won't fit at all), transferred a Custom latching/locking mechanism arm to a Deluxe tank (with or without the same cap)?

·
Registered
264 Posts
if you just need a deluxe tank cap and cover, i have an extra in my garage. let me know if you want it... i'll let it go for cheap. i just don't need it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts