Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding into work today, everything was just grand. When I got here, I pulled into a spot and sent the bike to neutral, I noticed my green light didnt turn on. I put it in gear, and back to neutral....nothing.

I shut off the bike then turned the key back on, no Oil light. I tried the turn signal...nothing. I got off and the head light wasnt on.

So its both the Dash and the physical lights. I did not think to check the back at the time, hopefully I have brake lights. But I'll be sure to hand signal as well. I also did not check the horn.

The lights worked when I left the house this morning.

I don't have any tools with me, and certainly not a fuse, but does this sound like a simple fuse issue? The bike ran fine the whole way in, I would guess its an isolated issue wherever it is.

·
Registered
285 Posts
first thing that comes to mind is to check your grounding wires and points. start with frame/starter to battery(depending on model) then the grounds (either under the fuel tank or in the headlight bucket) and under the seat.

You can still start the bike?

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
May just be a fuse, only way to be sure is check them. Check the main fuse at the battery, as if that goes you loose everthing (even the starter). If the bike does start then it may be one of the front fuses or a bad connection somewhere.

·
Super Moderator
15,329 Posts
Check the fuse and even if it looks good take it out and twist the ends. Many fuses are junk but look good.

If you bump start the bike it will come back to life.

·
Super Moderator
20,358 Posts
Give the connector going into the ignition switch a wiggle.

Loose connectors and switch plates can cause loss of power to... everything.

I just pulled and fixed my ignition switch last weekend due to the same issues. Sitting at the lights, suddenly no motor running or ignition lights. Lights back on by the time I pushed the bike out of the way.

This is for a CDI switch but the basics should be the same.

http://s1085.photobucket.com/albums/j424/CXPHREAK/Switchgear rebuild/Ignition switch/

Sorry, it's unfinished as yet.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I must have a loose connection somewhere, When I went outside after work the bike functioned perfectly, all lights, fired right up, rode home without a hiccup.

Thanks fellas, I'll keep you apprised if this should change

·
Registered
392 Posts
I was riding into work today, everything was just grand. When I got here, I pulled into a spot and sent the bike to neutral, I noticed my green light didnt turn on. I put it in gear, and back to neutral....nothing.

I shut off the bike then turned the key back on, no Oil light. I tried the turn signal...nothing. I got off and the head light wasnt on.

So its both the Dash and the physical lights. I did not think to check the back at the time, hopefully I have brake lights. But I'll be sure to hand signal as well. I also did not check the horn.

The lights worked when I left the house this morning.

I don't have any tools with me, and certainly not a fuse, but does this sound like a simple fuse issue? The bike ran fine the whole way in, I would guess its an isolated issue wherever it is.
Fuses will go bad and sometiimes they look good. The element is not blown but it will corrode and disconnect from the metal cap. ( 3AG Fuses). One way to look for an open fuse is to short the fuse . Do not go by the looks of the element.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
A damaged wire in the harness that flexes each time the bars are turned could be the culprit, and also be intermittent. You may need to open the harness and wiggle the wires to reproduce the problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts