Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was trying, unsuccessfully to find a post on damping fluid in speedometers and tachometers I remember reading on this forum. Probably in those missing archives from before the takeover by VS.
So I decided to try the Wayback Machine. I still wasn't successful, but did find an archive of posts from the board before the Choppercharles version. Some of the posts link to threads, most external links are broken. Here is the link to the archive which seems to cover 2004-2006 at least. Enjoy.

·
Super Moderator
4,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Super Moderator
4,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Well that sucks! The first link still works for me. The link to the bruise article is correct. The article is about a rider who had a slow speed fall, the bike landing on his leg. He came within hours of loosing his leg due to "compartment syndrome". It is a chilling read.

ahttp://web.archive.org/web/20060502082940/http://www.cxboard.netfirms.com/wwwboard/general/ is the link which didn't work for you. Perhaps try a cut and paste, make sure the link doesn't get truncated. I have added an a at the start of the link so that it doesn't default to the page title. Remove the a if cutting and pasting.

Try this one for the home page.

·
Super Moderator
4,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
By the way Bob do you remember the post about the damping fluid in the speedometers and tachometers? I can not find it.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
16,263 Posts
It takes me to the old forum home page and the link to the forum works but none of the individual posts are archived ;-(

I thought the 2nd link was wrong because the link says "How to put a bike on its' centerstand". (sic)

I have a vague recollection of a discussion about some kind of oil for damping instruments but I have no idea what the poster used (or wanted to use) or what anyone else said about it. Sorry.
I have a feeling it was after I gave up on mechanical instruments because bearing in a tach completely disintegrated.

·
Super Moderator
4,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Super Moderator
4,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Reactions: Sidecar Bob

·
Registered
1983 cx650E
953 Posts
A lot of the posters there have visited the Amish rally or are still Mainstays here on the present form.. Rich in Ct. Gene McCall, Dave and slippery rock, Jim in NJ, another Dave, fenton or weiner, sture in Sweden, Phil in VT, Charles, dick in Raleigh, Don in Oz, and several other familiar names.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Thanks for the post about compartment syndrome, I've heard the term before but never knew what it was. YIKES!

·
Super Moderator
4,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For the nerds on here, this is an introduction to the Wayback Machine and how to use it.

·
Super Moderator
4,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Wayback Machine has archives of the Swedish Board from 1997 and up.

Reactions: TonyG

·
Super Moderator
16,263 Posts
You might find this interesting

·
Super Moderator
4,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here is a thread from 1998 by our very own Tony G.

Reactions: TonyG

·
Super Moderator
16,263 Posts
Possibly Murray's very first post on a CX forum

·
Registered
1983 cx650E
953 Posts
Here is a thread from 1998 by our very own Tony G.
. Wow, I think I even remember making that post. But by 1998 the Gobi net forum was about 2 years old, just from my recollection and maybe a little older than that.

My first experience with the internet was a few hour long sessions at a local college library who opened up their computer room in the library to the public on I think three nights a week. Something like that.

One of the first Search items I performed was for cx500s. I was pleasantly surprised to find such a American population on a foreign bulletin board. Until that time I kind of assumed that the CX500 was a somewhat rare motorcycle.

Most of the discussions at that time were how to make or find parts and how to work on it. The cafe mod craze did not hit and was not really part of the swedish discussions. A few fellows were trying to enhance the motorcycle but not really an all out reconstruction.

The bulletin board at that time was segregated into the divisions that are in the Haynes manual. Meaning there was a section for exhaust a section for wheels and tires, a section for engine, a section for frame and body work, section for instruments, etc etc.

About 2 months ago I asked sture to compile a history from his perspective of the swedish club group and the rise and fall of the swedish bulletin board. I forwarded that information to Randall just as a matter of trying to spread the history around and to keep the history of this forum in mind. I will post sturs comments on the next post.

·
Registered
1983 cx650E
953 Posts
This is a couple paragraphs of a hunger reply that I got from sture, who was quite active on the gobynet forum and also on the several manifestations of the American forums. As are many or most of the participants of that forum almost 30 years ago, those who were 50 or over at that time are now in their waning riding years. But in many ways it's been good to ride.

Hi Sture, been a long time, I was thinking of you the other week when we had another discussion about the origins of the CX500 form here in the United States and I think we were talking about the advances of the internet in the last 25 years.

Anyhow I wonder if you could recollect what year the form started and actually maybe how it came about that it was published in both swedish and English and any thoughts that you might want to share about that group. Is there still an active club in Sweden? I had seen a Czechoslovakian club and a German club and I imagine some of the other countries have forms and clubs but I was just wondering if there was still a swedish association or club there.

I still think that one day I'll get one of those pitchler fairings, but as we get older my back seems to mind some of our winter push-ups here in the roads,

It's been such a good hobby for so many people and many friendships have been made through both the original swedish form and our Branch off here in the states. I assume that you saw of Dave Weiner's passing. And I imagine as time goes on there will be more of this type of thing with our original group.
I couldn't find any of the files on the way back machine. I wasn't sure that I was searching for the right words. I think I forgot the word gobinet. Do you know of any locations where any of the files have been archived, just for nostalgic sake.

Anyhow I thought of you when we were having the discussion about how far the internet has advanced, and I saw that you have been active not so often but still active at least as of about 20 days ago from today so I thought I'd say hello and good tidings.

Sture
·Registered
Joined Aug 8, 2010
·
1,269 Posts
Hi Tony,

Thanks for your letter!

Nice to "hear" from you! I´ll try to answer some of your questions.

The CX/GL 500 Owners Club Sweden was founded in 1995 by a small number of CX-owners in and around Gothenburg. Their aim was to have a couple of meetings annually. Soon, very soon after the first meeting they realized that there was really some interest for such a club. So they decided to also make a members mag, with two numbers annually. And one member, Orvar Börjesson, decided on his own to create an Internet page about these bikes and the club. Orvar, as many Swedes, has no problems with the English language, so I guess it was just to make the page more interesting, internationally, that he used that language.

It was his private thing and of course (why is it always so?) some of the leading guys weren´t so well oriented and fascinated about Internet and such stuff, so there soon was some conflict between the club board and Orvar. Communication between them froze. I came in as a member in June 1996, after having bought my first CX only one week earlier. The guy who sold the bike to me already was a member with a GL 500 I and a CX 500 Custom in his garage.

·
Super Moderator
16,263 Posts
I was bike shopping in 1999 and I seemed to see CX500s everywhere I looked, including a used one at the local Suz/Kaw/bombardier dealer that I thought reasonably priced. But I really didn't know anything about them so my son (who was in high school at the time) said "Let's go to the library and see what we can find about them on the Internet". One of the first results that came up was the Swedish CX forum and after looking around a bit I thought it would be worth getting the bike to be part of a community like that.
BTW: When the guy was filling out the forms for the sale he looked at the bike's paperwork and said "It's a GL500, not a CX500. Does that matter?" By then I knew just enough about them (from the forum) to know that a GL would be OK.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I first connected to the internet around 1995 and I then joined the Swedish forum. Anyone have the cover picture of that site? I recall a grey GL500 Interstate. I think it was near a dock or at least there was a ship in the background. Anyone have that picture? Also, funny how back then people used there real names.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts