Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,462 Posts
I've won a couple bids on the bay for a full face modular helmet, I think the make was TMS. Less than a Benjamin. One was about $70 and the other was around $35. The brand isn't well known, but they are alright. The sizing is a bit hard to get right for them. They might still come up from time to time.

The one on the right in this pix.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I think a full face helmet is one of those things you have to hold, try one, move around with to really know if it's going to fit and you can live with it. I have a friend who modifies the foam with a grinder on sight unseen helmets he buys and it works out well (he just shaves them, no major removal of material) and even he's given up on mail order full face.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Cycle gear has their new line of BILT helmets on sale for $69.99. It's a pretty good deal for what your spending, but I don't know if they have any stores where you're at.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think a full face helmet is one of those things you have to hold, try one, move around with to really know if it's going to fit and you can live with it. I have a friend who modifies the foam with a grinder on sight unseen helmets he buys and it works out well (he just shaves them, no major removal of material) and even he's given up on mail order full face.

I agree with you on this. I have a large forhead (I think it gives me more brains....some may differ! LoL) I was told that I'd fit right in with some guys up in Canada way.... I had a helmet that fit fairly well except for my forhead getting pounded! That wasn't any fun. When I got my bike, my sibs bought me the helmet.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I went to the local flea market where there is a motorcyle accesory shop (Hopar's Cycle Inc. in Roanoke, VA) I got a HJC XXL full face for 89.00 with a helmet bag. I know it's not uber name brand but it's DOT approved, it keeps my noggin safe.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Last year around this time I got a Bell Zephyr for $40. It's an XL. Was a hell of steal.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,232 Posts
Dennis Kirk has an outlet store along I-35 where they sell one-offs, and you can find some deals. It would be quite a haul for you, and it's kind of hit or miss.

They list a good closeout price on an HJC right now, too, but you'd want to try it on.

R

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dennis Kirk has an outlet store along I-35 where sell one-offs, and you can find some deals. It would be quite a haul for you, and it's kind of hit or miss.

They list a good closeout price on an HJC right now, too, but you'd want to try it on.

R

I've been to that store.....it's kinda hit and miss on sizes and stuff..... Yes it is a bit of a drive.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Try Motorcycle Gear, used to be New Enough. They regularly have helmets under $100.

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/

The good thing is you can go to a local shop and try on the different helmets and then get them online. Customer service is good and I have never had an issue with them.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
If it's your first helmet you'll definitely want to try a few brands on first if possible. I have 2 now, a SparX (made by KBC) and an HJC. According to the Sparx site's size chart I'm a large, but HJC says I should be a medium. Before I bought the HJC I tried on a few and decided I'm definitely NOT a medium, it squeezed me head and was way overly tight. If you can try some brands on so you know your size you can still order somewhere cheaper online.

Either that or find a website that has a good return policy, don't go through Ebay.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I've been to that store.....it's kinda hit and miss on sizes and stuff..... Yes it is a bit of a drive.

What town in SW MN are you at? If way SW I'd say run over to Sioux Falls and hit the bike shops there. Full face helmets under $100 are easy to find, what's hard to find is a modular, flip helmet under $100.

And it is best to try it on before you buy. Ordering helmets on-line is a crap shoot because of the size problem. You eat up all your savings in shipping charges when you have to send them back.

By the way, I grew up in NW Iowa (Sheldon).

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Amazon $65 for a modular.

Go to your local bike shop, try on the different brands and styles, note the sizes according to brand, and find them

cheap online at either E-Bay, Amazon, Dennis Kirk, Bike Bandit, etc. Just google Motorcycle Helmets Online and the

choices are endless.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Dan, now that I know what town you are from, I'd like to suggest you zoom east to Jordan. Sport Wheels is just north of there on 169. They have some new full face helmets for under $75. And, if you haven't been there before, they also have used parts for your bike. (they are a bike junk yard).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts