Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I just got an '81 CX500 Custom and am wondering about filling it up. I have ridden it to just under 100 miles now, was told 100 miles was where I would hit reserve, so I got to 76 miles and went to fill. I am wondering what gas mileage I should be expecting on it, I put in 1.6 gallons I believe and felt like that felt low. I don't want to run out of fuel but from what I have read I have a 4 gallon tank right? So it would seem that my 100 miles is not going to put me too low? Or am I missing something?

Loving the new bike. Just finished my safety course and this is my very first bike! Trailtrader hooked me up huge. Just wanting to make sure I don't mess anything up :rolleyes:

·
Registered
800 Posts
1.6 gallons I believe and felt like that felt low. I don't want to run out of fuel but from what I have read I have a 4 gallon tank right? So it would seem that my 100 miles is not going to put me too low? Or am I missing something?

this is my very first bike! Trailtrader hooked me up huge. :rolleyes:
HELLO Big Fudge, you must be the recipient of TT's generosity. Welcome

It appears that depending on the year of your CX Custom your fuel tank capacity is either 2.9 US gal (11L) or 3.3 US gal(12.5L) with .9 gal as reserve.

So you should be able to use at minimum 2 gal before hitting reserve, this would have put you at 95 miles with 47 MPG.
After a few fill-ups you will be able to determine your average usage for your bike and riding style, and most likely be able to predict just when you will need to fill-up next.
Each time push you mileage out a little bit before filling, until you find the point that you must flip to reserve. After a while you will be comfortable riding up to reserve knowing that you have another 20ish miles before your out of gas.

A word of advise... Practice-Practice-Practice reaching down and flipping to reserve until you can do it automatically without looking down. That way when it does happen, you can easily and safely switch to reserve and continue on your way.

·
Super Moderator
11,452 Posts
81 82 3.3 earlier custom tanks as in 79 80 were the 2.9

they changed the under side of the tank when they relocated the ignition coils below the center spine
I did not know this, I always thought my former 82 C had the 2.9...........but we are splitting hairs a bit when talking about half a gallon.

Either way, Welcome to the forum Cory! TT did you right, and we all hope for good tidings in your adventures, safely.

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
24,186 Posts
if i ever have a minute i will post a picture of a early and late custom tank from the under side

it is why you cant put a 81-82 tank on a 79-80 custom it hist the coils

but you can fit the wider bottom 79 or 80 on a 81 or 82 its just the tunnel they closed up to get the extra .4 of a gallon

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you guys so much! I am super glad to be part of a good community. I will be posting about all my new adventures. It has really been so fun. I get this big stupid grin and it won't go away until I dismount.

Glad to know that I am not losing it on the tank size. 1.6 sounds just about right for my mileage then. Thanks guys.

·
Super Moderator
11,452 Posts
The grin should not go away when you dismount...............let me see if that is covered in the WIKI...................... :)

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
255 Posts
BigFudge,
I see that you are in Port Orchard. If you need any technical help pm me and we can get together.

Reactions: LandofRath

·
Registered
891 Posts
Only one person posting NOT from Washington lol.. nice.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Big Fudge,
I thought I saw you today riding south on sedgewick and then turn right onto bethel around 5pm. I was waiting at light to go straight on bethel in the other direction. We waved and then I noticed you riding TT's old CX with the trailer hitch. Nice to have another CX/GL rider in town.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts