Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
took out the air filter and there is fuel sitting underneath. Is this normal? I also removed the petcock and was looking for a screen to clean it out but i am not finding a screen. Am I missing something?

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
The airbox usually will accumulate a bit of left over residues from the crankcase, so it is somewhat normal. If the drain hose from it is blocked up (*this goes down to the middle bottom of the bike along with a few other vent hoses, and some are capped normally*) the amount might be more than normal. Check that drain hose then dry out the box and you will be okay.

As to the petcock, the little filter on it is hard to see, so I'll try to find a picture. It would help if you'd put your bike year and model in the signature line and edit your profile to give your location. Makes it easier for us to help you.

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hope I fixed my sig line correctly. I made sure the hoses were clear. I can get the bike to sputter but barely. I ran down my new battery cranking so much. I just changed the oil and installed new spark plugs. I think my next step is to remove and clean the carbs and i know there is a ton of info on this site about that but for some reason it just scares the bejesus out of me! Heard a lot of horror stories about carbs

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
The thing about the carbs on these is seemingly daunting, and depending on your mechanical aptitude and tools, might be. But there is plenty of help here to get you through it. Biggest thing I could recommend is Larry's (LRCXed) book. Best 25$ you'll ever spend. And if you just can't pull yourself to do them yourself, send them to him. For about 10$ shipping and roughly $250, you will get them back looking like this.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I hope I fixed my sig line correctly. I made sure the hoses were clear. I can get the bike to sputter but barely. I ran down my new battery cranking so much. I just changed the oil and installed new spark plugs. I think my next step is to remove and clean the carbs and i know there is a ton of info on this site about that but for some reason it just scares the bejesus out of me! Heard a lot of horror stories about carbs

If you have a battery charger go ahead and leave it hooked up while you are cranking it. It will help you have enough juice to turn the starter and create spark. Just make sure you unplug it once the bike starts.

Also, buy a can of starting fluid and spray some into the air intake. Take out the filter. That stuff does wonders on engines that have been sitting a while.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.