Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
You won't get it from Honda. If you manage to find one New Old Stock, it will cost more than any of our CXs are worth.

Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
Welcome to the forum. Please add your location and your bike's model and model year to your profile so that you don't have to remember to tell us every time and we don't have to keep asking when you forget (see Forum Settings link in my signature).

And welcome to the world of antique vehicle ownership (they own us, not the other way around). Your bike is about 4 decades old and may or may not have had all of the maintenance necessary to keep it safe & reliable so it is highly recommended to download the Factory Shop Manual for your model (available through the CX Wiki - link in my signature) and go through all of the service procedures, regardless of whether your bike has reached the specified mileage.
I also recommend looking on all rubber parts with suspicion because rubber does not age gracefully. Check the date codes on your tires and replace them if they are over 5 years old no matter how good they look & feel (old rubber simply cannot flow around the irregularities in the asphalt well enough to grip, especially if it is cool or wet). If your bike still has the original rubber brake line(s) (should be replaced every 2 or 3 fluid changes = 5 or 6 years) I recommend shopping for modern stainless braided ones (they last practically forever and double the life of the fluid). And don't forget things like the rad hoses and the boot between the engine and swingarm (they can crack on the bottom where you don't see it).

If you really think the part number for the tank will help you find one there are also parts books in the Wiki.

There are also numerous threads on this forum discussing alternate tanks.

Registered
1983 Honda GL650I Silver Wing Interstates (1 Red, 1 Gray)
According to cmsnl.com, the vintage bike mega-parts company in the Netherlands, there are four part numbers for the complete gas tank assembly for a USA version 1978 CX500. Item #4 on this page:

The "NH1" tanks are black, and the "R8CS" models are candy presto red. The reason for the two different numbers for black tanks and red tanks are the early versions have been superseded by a newer part number, as below:

TANK ASSY., FUEL NH1 (BLACK)
OLD part number: 17500-415-000ZD

TANK ASSY., FUEL R8CS (CANDY PRESTO RED)
OLD part number: 17500-415-000ZE

TANK ASSY., FUEL NH1 (BLACK)
NEW part number: 17500-415-010ZD

TANK ASSY., FUEL R8CS (CANDY PRESTO RED)
NEW part number: 17500-415-010ZE

No one seems to have the part number for the bare tank anymore (item #9 at that site). The part numbers above are for the complete tank assembly.

Not that having the part numbers will make it any easier to find one, but you never know.

Good luck with your search.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts