Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since it is a frequent topic, I figured I'd ask. I read a lot of the stuff on here, even if it hasn't happened to me- maybe it will and I feel I would be better prepared. One of the posts I read was about how the Caswell epoxy sealer worked like a dream- and maybe I misunderstood. I thought it was referring to ease of use, since the directions seem pretty straight forward. How about afterwards? The GL has rust, etc and I'd like to clean/ seal the tank and was going to use this sealer. It seems so many people are having issues with getting fuel through the system. Has anybody used the sealer, put the bike back together and run it semi- extensively without issues? Nobody in my area seems to seal tanks- and with those instructions, I feel pretty sure of myself doing it.

·
Super Moderator
15,413 Posts
Many people have had very good experiences with Por 15 and Caswals. You probably only remember the people that have bad experiences.

It's all about preparation.

You will want to clean the tank with evaporust, electrolosis, or an acidic solution. Make sure the tank is totally dry when you pour the solution in and then cap the petcock hole and fill hole. Roll the tank for a while to get the sealer everywhere and then drain it out. Probably taking a qtip or similar item to clean the petcock area so there isn't so much sealer built up in it. After that let it dry for 5-7 days and you're done.

·
Registered
458 Posts
As Donald said " Q-tip the fuel petcock hole"

POR15 is good.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the Caswell ordered- just had been reading the threads about all the fuel issues lately- look @ the technical help and see how many are about fuel. My concern was specifically the petcock area, so I had wondered if there was anybody who had used it before- and not as in a week ago. If I remember correctly, the directions said indoors for 24 hrs, which is just fine because I want to get the tank sealed and then sent over for the flames. I wanted to have all of the repairs made that were needed before putting on new paint. I'm coming to the end of my riding season, and I'm still determined to get it all done the way I want and put back together and have a good time riding it before putting the bike away for the winter.

·
Super Moderator
15,413 Posts
Sealing first and painting after is always a good idea. It give you to reason not to screw with the tank. Oh you should also wrap the petcock bung threads with masking tape. It will keep the sealer off it.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh you should also wrap the petcock bung threads with masking tape. It will keep the sealer off it.

This would be on the outside? How would I get sealer on the outside?? NM.. lol.. I'm sure it'll make more sense when I'm doing it

·
Super Moderator
15,413 Posts
This would be on the outside? How would I get sealer on the outside?? NM.. lol.. I'm sure it'll make more sense when I'm doing it
Ever make a mess you didn't expect? When you sit the tank on the ground where is it going to touch. Yep bunghole on the ground. And the sticky puddle will get all over the threads. 2 cents of tape can save some time.

Hell I go nuts when I do a tank if it has a paint job I want to keep.

I will take masking tape and tape a solid square 3 inches around the fill hole. Then wrap the whole tank in plastic wrap a few times. Then I cut back the area by the fill hole and ductape the plastic to the masking tape so I have access to the fill hole. I also wrap the bung and tape the plastic to it too. If I had pictures of my process you would say wow this guy is nuts. But I didn't get any sealer on my paint job.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Started with the lacquer thinner yesterday- got to the 'put drywall screws in and shake around with lacquer thinner' step. I think sometimes Troy likes to watch over my 'projects' in case I'm screwing up.... Anyway, he came out and offered to weld the tank too
So after getting through those steps, knowing full well I was going to screw up the tank paint in the process and quite frankly not caring (Troy and I agreed, he had tried painting the tank while it was still on the bike and we weren't happy with the results so we wanted to redo it anyway... lol.. )- I filled and rinsed and filled and rinsed the tank with water, until it was clear. I was AMAZED between the thinner, screws, and water at how much STUFF was in the tank, and how rusty the inside was. When I first started rinsing, I couldn't see through the liquid. When it was sufficiently clear, all the screws were out, and it was halftime in the Bears game- the tank was filled, the pinhole underneath was isolated, and the welding was done. Sealing will still happen this week, as well as fresh paint and then the long awaited trip to get flames. I just feel so much better that that this stuff is being fixed and fixed right now- instead of sometime later when it would be more than a pinhole to deal with.

Welded and sealed?
Yup, I'm feeling pretty confidant.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
2.5 hours to go. Then I go home, let the dog out/ change out of my work clothes, check the sink (it started leaking this morning) and then on to the tank! Troy can actually work on the sink- I'm so stoked by the idea that I could potentially be putting it back together sometime next week/ weekend and back out on the road!!!

I've been putting out good vibes today, super excited and raring to go! The fuel didn't seem to evaporate too quickly from the tank before, so I might even hook up the compressor and blow air through the tank to help dry it today- want to rinse once more with the thinner before coating it.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
well sounds like you got your head on the prize.....now just dont go and FUBAR it all up.....lol i should be getting a new paint job in the next couple of weeks also....i like my friends......

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It may be SNAFU, but not FUBAR.... beyond all repair would indicate I can't do anything to fix it.... I will fix it. I will ride it. and I will have a blast doing it!

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
lol i know it wont be fubar but hey i am only a joker right........and i know it will turn out good

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I hope so..... but it's all excitement right now

Gotta get out on that bike soon though

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
yea i know what you mean i just put a windshield on my bike yesterday and maybe next week i will get the highway bars put on there only 12 miles away and i have to have time to get over to my friends house my wife works all these new hours and i am stuck home with serenity (my daughter) which is fun and all but i would rather be getting the mods done to my bike......

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
hell if you want i could harass you until you get off......

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
lol just think a hr to go.......i want to go ride but i guess the state of az (and my wife) says i cant put a car seat on a motorcycle i dont see what is so wrong with that they have them for bicycles......

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yeah, well.... I take my cousin's daughter out sometimes and although I have a pic of her on the bike right now for my facebook picture, I'd never want to put her on the bike. A ride would be nice, but if I could get away with putting her in the middle of the seat in my car, I would- keep her further away from the outside edges in case of a side impact. A bit overprotective I guess...... I just got her some outfits yesterday- well, one outfit and one Chicago Bears jersey!
(as if you can't tell by the changed profile picture, I'm a Chitown Bears fan) 40 minutes left..... waiting, waiting, doing paperwork and more waiting, hitting the refresh button, trolling for new and exciting things I haven't read yet today... and yet still waiting.... UGH!

I wish I had the whole summer ahead of me, but I'm still excited that next year I'll have everything the way I want it

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
no new pic for your avatar that i can tell........

1 - 20 of 34 Posts