Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please explain this fuel tank corrosion problem that some are discussing. Is it caused by the ethanol or the water it attracts or what? How do you keep it from happening?

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
It's usually caused by keeping the tank mostly empty then normal temperature variations and the fact that it's vented to the open air condensation forms inside and rusts the metal. If it hasn't gone too far a bit of phosphoric or muriatic acid diluted by about 10:1 or better with water will remove the rust in short order, just don't let it sit in there for too long.

If it is bad then you'll need to coat the tank, several products out there to do that with.

·
Super Moderator
15,400 Posts
That's a pretty good explanation. I would also like to add that it's easier to think of it as a metal can without a lid. Sure it won't seem like it's in the elements all the time but it's best to imagine it is.

How long does it take for a can to go from new to this

Seems like colder wetter widely varying climates would accelerate the conditions compared to a dry desert. Once the layer of protection in the tank is worn away it can only get worse. But with a tank liner things are all good again.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, thanks, I understand all that. I have never had that to happen to me but I don't want it to. I have always kept my tank full over winter and have added fuel stabilizer as well. I hope that keeps things in shape.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.