Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading the forum every once in a while in its different iterations. I lost track of it for a little while but found it again. I posted a time or 2 years ago. I am the original owner of a CX500Turbo.

Now to my question – my gas gauge reads full when the tank is full and reads for a little bit but then it gets maybe a gallon down and the gauge goes all the way to the left, like the tank is empty. I think the low fuel warning light is still working but I haven’t been waiting that long to fill it up again. I am assuming it is the fuel sending (sensor) in the tank that is the problem. Does anyone know if that can be serviced and brought back to life?

·
Registered
849 Posts
There's a wiper arm that sweeps across a coil. Clean up both sections and gently bend the wiper arm so that it makes good contact across the path.

Once you pull the sensor out it'll be obvious. The reserve light operates off a thermistor inside the metal capsule and should be fine. If not there's a cheap repair for that too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There's a wiper arm that sweeps across a coil. Clean up both sections and gently bend the wiper arm so that it makes good contact across the path.

Once you pull the sensor out it'll be obvious. The reserve light operates off a thermistor inside the metal capsule and should be fine. If not there's a cheap repair for that too.
Thank you. I will check that out. Do you have any suggestions on the best way to clean it? Solvent, scraping, filing, sanding?

·
Registered
849 Posts
Hi George,

What cheap repair is that?

My 650T has a fuel gauge issue.

Mine reads full all of the time, and the reserve comes on after 50 miles on a full tank.

I replaced my thermistor with a 20F735. It's dirt cheap from many electronic supply stores. You have to carefully split apart the metal capsule enough to remove it and then install the new one inside. The capsule has holes and acts like a baffle for splashing gas.

Your problem sounds more like the entire assembly is bent and sitting too high up in the tank. When fuel no longer touches the thermistor it warms up and its resistance goes down allowing the dash bulb to light.

Gas gauge is not related to the reserve light circuit. Float arm for the gauge may be hanging up on something. No telling what a previous owner did.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.