Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Where Yat Cajunguy... ?

My Daddy is from Jennings LA and my Mom is Acadien from Nova Scotia. I'm livin in Metry. ( if you can call that living ) I grew up playing in rice fields around Guydan in the summers while not incarcerated in a NEw Orleans School

Also Please Put your Bike model and year in your signature, Many put their location... Lot's of great help here but with no info, no one can really be sure of the question. A few different tank, petcock and filter options on various CX models. three I know of.

If you are talking about a tall stack screen in the tank above the petcock, they usually need a little persuasion around the mounting lip. I'll use a pointed awl, Chisel punch... or sometimes just grab the things with some long thin needlenose pliers, It's not attached mechanically, so it''s usually just a "Varnish Gum" seal holding them. I got rid of my tank filter, and just am using an inline... using an inline filter is the most recommended modification here... along with "Rotella" oil

Man I wish I could be in Grand Isle today busting up the specs on this cool front... city living, cramps my style.

Hope this helps, welcome to the forum from another "Cajun" Bro... we need to stick together, everyone on this group lives north of I-10

Jeff..... NOLAVOX

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jeff, thanks for the advice. I think I will replace the in tank screen with an in-line filter. I live uptown, near tulane and loyola. I was born and raised in NOLA. I am very new to motorcycle mechanics and this is my first bike. I purchased it for $400, which means I am gonna be putting in a lot of wrench time.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Well I guess it really is a "small" world...
I was thinking of heading to madigan's this afternoon. Look for a blue CX out front... I think it may be the only CX there

I lived at the corner of pine and willow growing up. Carrollton and riverbend are my old haunts

Did you get the silverwing on Craig's last week or so? or the un-assembled one a few weeks ago? I can help you with just about anything. I'll Pm my contact info. Holler if you want to

Jeff

·
Registered
290 Posts
I am having trouble removing the fuel screen from inside the gas tank. I want to remove it without damaging it, any suggestions? Thanks.

Huh. Well, my 80 Custom screen is not accessed from inside the tank. After you remove the pet-cock, the white nylon tube with screening goes in and out easily from below, OUTSIDE of the tank. It sits in place without a problem, and is re-assembled with a big O-ring thing, and then the pet-cock gets screwed back on. Your 82 must be of a different design.

BTW, I have an in-line filter as well.

Montana Clifford

·
Registered
66 Posts
Welcome to the forum. In the past removing fuel filers in tanks if stuck I will put a tap that barely bites and then with patience work it out. Soak the filter blow it out and reinstall.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
those are some great solutions, I think I prefer the bolt to the extractor... mine was a total pull out and replace.

IF someone wanted a nos screen for an 82Cx Custom... Does anyone have a part numb handy, and are they even available?

We got together last night and I'll see Cajunguy's bike sometime this week. I was too tired to go to wrenching last night...

I gotta tell you all... he's a newb with MCs, but smart as anyone. Willing to learn and take a methodical approach to doing so.

Unlike some here... he has already studied the archives, has a manual... and really wants to learn this stuff, wrench and ride.

Sounds like the bike has been sitting for sometime and will need the fuel- air systs maintinenced, a small tank repair... the usual rubber deterioration issues etc. Like a good Honda it ran wen he got it, but he has parked it until he has gone through it for reliability and safety Maint.

An absolute pleasure to meet you "R"... glad to have a fellow CXer in the hood as they are rare as hens teeth here. I think You will fit in this familles du Forums real good. ( much better than my crotchety ole man self
)

All the info most of us will ever need has been compiled and is avaliable through links on "Blindstich's" posts and profile.

Thx... talk soon... Jeff

·
Registered
134 Posts
I had a lot of rust and gunk built up around mine and could not get it out. Needle nose wouldn’t pull it out, a razor blade wouldn’t pry it out nothing would get it to even budge. Then I tried a bolt extractor (the left hand spiral kind) and it came out with ease.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.