Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and gals, been searching the forum looking for Fuel Milage and Fuel Range values. Getting lots of fuel related topics but not exactly what I'm after.

So.

How far are you able to ride on a full tank? Say full to reserve and has anyone run dry? and if so, how far did you make it?

Most of my previous bikes were sport oriented so 300k ( 180 miles ) was pushing it.

thanks.

Owen

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
on my 82 gl,filled on a side stand,i dont push 130 miles

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Depends on your riding style / throttle habits.

With a 500 standard (from your comment line) you should expect just over 300 kms before completely dry.

Normally I´m switching to reserve at 230 - 270 km. My overall average (> 10 years) is 5.4 l / 100 km.

The worst I´ve got between two partial fill-ups would have made me run dry after just over 220 kms. Strong headwind and really heavy on the throttle.

Sture

·
Registered
55 Posts
Wow! Thats going to be rough. My 78" now has a custom cx tank and i have a little bit of a twitchy throttle hand. LOL!!!

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I Gas up every 50 miles or so with my 2 gallon to reserve tank. I figure the 50-50 mix cuts the chance of a bogus mixture of gasoline like chemicals and water shutting me down. + I get tired after about 50 miles of crusin these days and usually am ready for a stretch n p anyway.

OH! 70-100 miles to reserve depending on Mood of Right hand
usually 80 0r therebouts.

·
Registered
382 Posts

Really? I fill my GL on the center stand since it'll take more but I can consistantly get 190 or so before I hit the reserve. I've gone as much as 212 on the reserve but I've never run it completely dry.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts

Bandit, I'd guess filling it on the side stand you're probably missing out on at least 1/2 gal of tank capacity, maybe more. I'm not sure about the GL tanks but on the deluxe tank at least when I fill on the center stand I can fit a good amount of gasoline in even after it "looks" full because of the lip around the opening.

I generally get about 140 - 150 miles before reserve, but there's been some times where it only managed 130.

·
Super Moderator
11,471 Posts
My 82 Custom regularly gets to 100 miles, + - 5, to reserve, and I always hit the station as soon as I can thereafter. That's with just a general commuting ride, roughly 15 miles of it freeway, but never above 60mph, usually a lot slower during the rush hours.

On a road trip, add in about 15 miles more to that. Steady throttle.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I found that my GL650 gets 200 miles before it runs dry... did I mention I need to find out why it bypassed reserve... oh well another project for this spring. I usually fill up at 150 miles.

·
Super Moderator
15,417 Posts
The bikes in question here would be the 79 deluxe/standard/custom. The custom has a 2.9 gallon tank

I usually got 100 miles before hitting reserve at 2.2 ish gallons.

·
Super Moderator
11,471 Posts
I see that now Stitch, the faint type in Adventures' signature line missed my eye. And he needs to edit that to take out the code marks, maybe add in his model too.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I guess my 82 GL500I is in the ball park. I usually fill it while I straddle it holding it upright, so it is really full. I've gone a little past 200 mi without hitting reserve, but I've also had to hit reserve at 180-190 mi. It gets between 50-60 mpg, depending on throttle position :))

Waiting for a dry day.

Steve

·
Registered
89 Posts
Really? I fill my GL on the center stand since it'll take more but I can consistantly get 190 or so before I hit the reserve. I've gone as much as 212 on the reserve but I've never run it completely dry.

Yeah that sounds about right, I would refill my 81 GL every 175 miles.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts

Bandit, I'd guess filling it on the side stand you're probably missing out on at least 1/2 gal of tank capacity, maybe more. I'm not sure about the GL tanks but on the deluxe tank at least when I fill on the center stand I can fit a good amount of gasoline in even after it "looks" full because of the lip around the opening.

I generally get about 140 - 150 miles before reserve, but there's been some times where it only managed 130.

Yeah that sounds about right, I would refill my 81 GL every 175 miles.
guys,you are probably all about correct.i do loose a bit filling on the side stand,its not a problem,its nice to stop,have a walk and take on water.

also,i have fitted an 18 inch wheel to my GL,so the lean will be even more.

virtually all garages here have a bar inside

·
Registered
82 Posts
I know this may sound like I am retarded but I have never experienced reserve or at least not that I know of.

When you need to go into reserve will the bike die? and you will pull over to the side of the road and have to switch the petcock to reserve in order to access the reserve gas? Or when the regular tank runs dry it will automatically run on reserve? but then how do you know if you are on reserve?

I guess I am just very conservative and always fill up when my bike gets close to reading Empty which is usually around 200-250 km on my CX650 E.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.