Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, all

I am working on a 1982 gl500. Haveing problems with the fuel shut off - petcock. About a month ago it leaked. I have cleaned everything and sealed the tank with red Kote. Now it won't let fuel thought. I'm thinking the seal gummed up. This part has been discountined from honda, and can't find an after market one. Now what. Drill out the rivets and see if I can get a new O-ring?? And then drill and tap for some small screws.

Any ideas?

Thanks Daye

·
Registered
168 Posts
The GL has a vacuum diaphragm that has to be actuated for the fuel to flow. There are 2 ports on the back side: one for vacuum, one to send any fuel bypass to the ground, in case of a ruptured diaphragm. You can test it by putting succion to the vacuum port, the one that is the furthest in front. Alternatively, you can mount the spring on the diaphragm backwards to keep the valve open.

You may want to check the intake piping to the valve. There should be a plastic screen that my have plugged. There is also a plastic tube that sets the reservelevel that we sometimes do not remount in the proper location.

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
Did you remove the fuel strainer from the tank before coating it? if not it's probably covered by sealer.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Uppon closer examination, the screen was still in there! I built a puller useing a 3/8 x16 bolt. Drilled out three washers to 29/64 inside diameter. It worked real slick. Did not have to tap the screen, just screw in the bolt. Now I suppose that I have to replace the screen!

I am glad someone posted this problem before I put gas in the tank!

[I had the same problem

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Although more filtering is probably better then less, If you've already lined the tank, splicing an inline filter from the petcock to the carberators would suffice. IMHO

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
One of my CX doesn't have the tank fuel filter,just the tube to give the reserve but I do keep good in-line fuel filters on the bikes.I like them because it's easy to see if there's any crud got into them.I have even re-used the filters after blowing through with carb/brake cleaner after washing under the tap in the sink

HTH

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I took everything apart, and put it back together. Now it works fine! I may of had the diaphram in backwards.

I'm afraid to turn the gas valve off. It may start leaking or plug up. Has anyone rebuild or bought a gas valve?

thanks Daye

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I know is of no consolation, but, if your petcock is leaking from the fuel handle side?......Honda does NOT make a rebuild kit for that side. ONLY the diaphram and spring side. I, having similiar troubles with one I have on the bench, am finding not a LOT of help from the parts counter people either. you can see what lies behind the fuel handle here: http://cx500forum.co...vacuum-petcock/

And if you are tediously DETERMINED, and that 4 holed rubber disc is not broken, and that O-ring is not broken, CAN, it has been said, be repaired by simply turning that rubber disc over. THEN, ya gotta get all that babbit of the "un-rivets" out and tap yerself some threads and put some screws in, and hopefully, it won't leak. I have read accounts where riders in here have done this and lived to talk about it........LOL

JohnW the Mayor posted in that thread, a little further down, that he had an extra one that needs only the diaphram. Might wanna check that out.

Otherwise, there's the buy and sell section a little further down the line on the main page......or, some auction house site.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Daye,

It is still available if you want it but as stated, it is minus the diaphragm.
I might take you up on that. I'm going to play around with it some more in the next few days. If it don't leak by this weekend, good. If it does. I'm getting out the drill!

Thanks Daye

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.