Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to check the fuel level in the float bowls while the engine is running. Why? Because the bike seems to be running rich though everything is standard. Not original though because it originally is a 27kW restricted version, but the restrictions in the header pipes have been removed and the jet sizes changed to standard. Anyone know if there is anything different in the air input side, like a smaller inside diameter of the air duct tube?

Anyhow, does anyone have knowledge of the float bowl fuel level?

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
It is fairly easy to check the fuel level in the bowls without removing them. Just take two 12-18" long pieces of clear tubing and attach them to the drain ports on the bottom of the bowl. Route them up beside the float bowl and wire tie or tape them into position, making the tubing as vertical as possible. Then open the drain screw and the level in the tubes is exactly the level in the bowls.

The level should be just below the seam of the bowl and the body. I have even test rode a bike with these hooked up, just to see if the levels stayed correct at speed. Just make sure you secure the tube, so that it doesn't hang down and leak the fuel.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Then it looks like the fuel level is correct on both carbs.

When I was reading the service manual, I noticed that I have the air intake duct to the air filter pointing to the wrong direction, that is to the front when it is supposed to point to the rear. But I don't think that would cause a rich condition.

So I went to read the CX500 parts lists in cmsnl.com, and found that in addition to different jet sizes the full vs. restricted versions have different jet needle set part numbers. Now this may be the source of the problem I think. The jet needles I have have code 25C stamped on them. I guess this is different from what you guys have?

Restricted:
Full:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.