Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1982 CX 500 Custom, 1982 CX 500 Turbo, 1979 Goldwing, 1976 BMW R90, and on, and on, and on.
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an 82 500 Turbo last year. It ran fine when I bought it but I hadn't ridden it since I brought it home.

When I tried to close the petcock, the petcock leaked so I left it open, thinking since it was fuel injected it wouldn't matter anyway. I had no issues with it for months.

About two weeks ago, I filled it up the tank and took it for a ride. It ran fine. Parked it and left the petcock open as before.

I went out in the garage today and there was a solid fuel leak with fuel on the floor. I spent a long time trying to figure out where it was leaking but the best I could tell it was leaking at the fuel filter inlet where the hose comes from the petcock. I don't know if it is a loose hose or even a crack that I can't see. Of course, this is all so close together there that it could be nearby and spraying. I also thought that this might indicate some problem with the fuel filter or maybe that you can't leave the fuel on when it is not running.

I'm going to be rebuilding the petcock so I can shut it off but wondering if I need to go farther. Does anyone have some insight here that I should be looking at?

·
Registered
1982 CX500TC, 1969 Royal Enfield Series II Interceptor 750, 1988 Honda NT650 Hawk GT
105 Posts
If it doesn't leak with the petcock closed then you do not need to rebuild it!
Old bike = dried out rubber. I would check the hoses and fittings to make sure they aren't dried out and cracked before pinning it on the petcock.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,098 Posts
Sometimes a petcock will leak around the selector. In the OFF position, the fuel flow is cut off before it reaches the bad seal. On my old snow thrower, it's a compression pack around the shut-off screw. Ahh... another task for next summer.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have just take my carbs off as my CX had a small “accident” on the floor too. I discovered the fuel was leaking out of the right carb so after a fight getting them off the bike I removed the right float bowl only to see the secondary jet lying in the bottom of it.

Not sure if you’ve managed to get yours out yet but I’m hoping this was the problem with mine. i took the opportunity to change all the screws on mines (as well as renewing my diaphragms which took an age to come from far far away) while it was out so looks nicer too. Now to have a fight getting it back in again past those pesky rubbers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.