Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all. Another new member, 1979 CX500 been is storage for 10yrs--47K miles

I have done all the repairs/replacements

new battery,tank, petcock, rebuilt carbs(per Larry's book), rebuilt brake caliper, MC, shift lever seal, had raditor cleaned, new water o-rings, waiting on thermostat, replaced solenoid,new exhuast seals,new intake boots and new seat cover.

Got the bike started-sounds good--Have not riden yet. I tested the orig thermostat and it worked. However I ran it on stand for 30min --cap off and never saw any flow in raditor,(temp gauge just to the "M"). Hence, I ordered another stat.

Anyway, I know I saw threads a few week ago about how to routing the fuel line hose with a an in-line filter. I can not find.

Can youone advise?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
A lot of people use the K&N P/N 81-0222 but most anything that will adapt to a 5mm (~1/4") hose will work if you can find a convenient place to stash it.

The "stone looking" type seems to be preferred, also transparent so you can see if it's getting gunked up.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I have 1/4 hose and a small clear filer with the brass vs paper. It is a tight squeeze from petcock to carb. Shouldn't I use a longer hose and route toward airbox and back. Trying to ensure that the fuel flows to carb.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
One thing, if I reall the filter should never be mounted higher than the petcock (?) because it interrupts that gravity feed of the fuel.

·
Super Moderator
11,462 Posts
My filter is a larger one than you probably have, but here is how I set mine up.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Again, thanks.

I had pick one a while back. It is a start- has the brass insert. Again, Have not riden bike yet but I have been running at 2K RPM on stand-seems ok--not under load.

Prime Line - Fuel Filter ;$ 2.79 USD,1/4 clear with brass

Part # 7-02357-1

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/PML0/7023571.oap?keyword=7-02357-1. May have to cpoy like. Not an expert yet in composing.

Marshallf3- I looked in ebay and did not see K&N 81-0222. Did find 0221 that looks like the one I got at local auto parts.

Shep- I was going to route that yours- will have to configure and see

Ramprat06- looks like you snake around carbs. Have any trouble keeping level/flow downward?

·
Super Moderator
11,462 Posts
No, my fuel line doesn't go around the carbs. You can see the line coming out of the petcock and wraps around that and over to the filter, then over to the carb inlet. I have no issues with flow, as the line is all below the petcock.

The picture is from the rear of the bike looking forward, on the left side. I have the Custom, so my inlet is in between the two carb bodies

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I forgot to ck your bike. Yes, I now I remember that later models have it between vs on the outside on the left like Shep's.

Thanks for the clarification

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Boy, I've tried almost everywhere in town and nobody seems to carry nor is willing to or can't order the K&N P/N 81-0222.

Word has been that this is the best fit for all the CX/GL variants.

Any other inlines people have had luck with on a '79 Custom? I believe space is a limitation especially since it has to be kept below petcock level and it's a pretty tight situation in there.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I went to O'Reilly's Auto Parts this morning and they were able to find it (took about 3 minutes) --special order--but at $12 USD. Since I have a 79 CX500 std ,I can use the Prime Line one $2.79 with the brass insert

1 - 11 of 11 Posts