Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will start this post with a bit of a rant about marketting, and tie it to fuel filters--I was doing some research in hopes of finding something a bit better than the standard inline 40-70 micron sintered bronze style fuel filter and so far have come up empty for the simple fact that there is little to no information about any of them other than line size, color, maybe the filter media material and how much they cost.

Having recently rebuilt my carbs becuase of some performance issues, I found quite a bit of rusty sediment in them. Understandably I need to clean my tank out which I plan to do shortly.

Has anyone found something better than the standard sintered Bronze that they like? I like the idea of the clear replacement cartridge style. The initial investment is a few dollars but cartridges after that are only 2.50 each? I have yet to find out what sort of micron ratings are available, but I am not too pleased with the sintered bronze so far.

I would think either a paper element, or microglass would out perform sintered bronze any day of the week.

·
Registered
109 Posts
This is unfortunately an ongoing topic because no one has found a good solution yet. The K&N's were the best but they're extremely difficult to get a hold of. We're limited in space which is the only determining factor when choosing a fuel filter that we can actually run. You're right, the bronze ones are not the best, but its better than nothing and until some one makes a small 90° filter or some one figures out a way to fit something else in there we are kind of stuck.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
And then again you have the other side of the coin who argue that we don't really need a fuel filter after the tank. I personally think if you've cleaned your tank and you don't let the fuel in it sit for too long you should be fine using the cheap inline's, I've been using clear plastic ones marketed for lawnmowers and haven't had any issues.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Kingston...where do you set your filter?....after the petcock and prior to the carbs?

I'm looking for a little extra protection for the carbs and am thinking of placing an inline filter just after the petcock. Thoughts?

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kingston...where do you set your filter?....after the petcock and prior to the carbs?

I'm looking for a little extra protection for the carbs and am thinking of placing an inline filter just after the petcock. Thoughts?

I have the standard clear plastic cintered brass filter, and after cleaning my carbs found lots of sediment, and rust. I do need to clean out my tank though, and as mentioned in an earlier post, do plan to use the electrolysis method. My filter is located in between the petcock & the carbs.

·
Registered
239 Posts
As Rick said, it's in between the petcock and carbs, this is the only picture I have of that side but you can see the little funnel shaped filter:

I used the cone shaped filter as well until, while on a road trip in the middle of nowhere, it split at the nipple due to the stress of the tight curve of the fuel line. I now use 90 degree paper type filters and keep a spare with me. I, too, was simply looking for a bit of added protection, and am not overly concerned about the filter not being of the sintered bronze type. Marshall has worked with TAS Motorsports to get a few of the 90 degree bronze filters. Might want to check with them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts