Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, here's the deal. Matt @ TAS Motorsports got in the first card of filters yesterday, more to follow as soon as his distributor gets them.

These are the true 90* ones that fit easily without kinking your fuel line. See through heavy plastic case, sintered bronze filter element.

Made for 1/4" ID fuel hose but will fit ours with some lube / hot water. Pretty much the same as the K&N 81-0222 they recently quit making.

$4.95 each with free shipping so long as you mention the forum or my name.

You must call, 260-563-6937 he's reserved this first 20 + any additional it takes to satisfy us first.

They take Visa / MC directly or will take PayPal but would prefer not to as PayPal nabs a hefty fee out of any transaction.

Before you call you might make a list of oddball little things you may need. They've got oil & air filters as well as most of the rubber seals including the rubber carb plugs.

This is what the fuel filters look like: http://www.clarkemfg.com/cart/images/KL191409 I_MED.jpg (representative picture only)

BTW: Their phone has been pretty busy lately so it may take a while to get through, just keep trying.

Also remember, they've only got 20 (well, 19 now) of these on the first shipment with no ETA on the ones they have on order.

First come, first served but we're the only ones that has first grab at them before he puts them on eBay.

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
When you say sintered bronze filter element, and the picture shows what looks like small granules, what do you mean?

·
Registered
183 Posts
*Update*

They now have 8 left.

I just got off the phone with him and the news was GREAT!!!!! <--- yes 5 ! great

He said he could get the mechanicial seal for 45$ OEM as well. Thats better than the 70$ quoted me from the honda dealer. I will pick one up after I demo the pool and sell the scrap.

Jump on this asap!

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As I mentioned they'll have more, they just don't know when they'll be in but we have exclusive access to them until sales to us slows down, then they get listed on eBay.

These are the only ones available I know of unless you order from Clarke Manufacturing which costs more even if you go through the hoops to get $4 USPS shipping instead of paying their normal $11 UPS shipping charges. Probably the same manufacturer anyway, someone mentioned the name in one of these threads yesterday. The 90* is the key here they're the only setup that will fit our bikes easily without making a mess of the hoses or leaving them in a state where they easily kink.

They're known as sintered bronze because that's what the element is made of and how: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sintered

Anyhow these should be in the 50 - 75 micron filtering range and in a pinch are re-usable if you backflush them.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He said he could get the mechanicial seal for 45$ OEM as well. Thats better than the 70$ quoted me from the honda dealer.

They try to keep all the common seals around for our bikes and are trying to expand inventory. Let me know if there's anything you'd like them to stock and I'll relay it to Matt.

Currently I've got him researching the EMGO front and rear brake pads and shoes, if Niche can sell them so cheap with free shipping no reason TAS can't do the same.

It took us quite a while in a combined effort to find these filters at a decent price but when K&N took a dump on us something had to be done.

Currently we're starting to look for a local source on the spark plug caps as well as the gaskets for both sides of the H-Box which it turns out are actually made from graphite. Sure would beat having to order from Wemoto or David Silvers if you're on this side of the globe.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
I'm glad you have taken up the gauntlet on this plug cap issue Marshall.I've been hoping some one over there could find/make a solid link to a supplier including price plus postage and stock availability for quite a few years.

On a side note.I doubt there will be any of the simpler none resistor type plug caps over there because of those restrictions/requirements that were applied to Japanese motorcycles around the 1980s on the US models.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If he can get them direct from NGK there probably wouldn't be a resistor cap. Around here they usually use resistor wires and plugs with regular caps.

I sure wish they would have made all the coils with replaceable wires, that way I could get some http://www.magnecor.com wire and use it, great stuff.

Now there's another possible plug cap supplier - maybe - they're kind of unique but then again so are the ones that fit my car and they have them.

Yes, I figure if TAS could get the NGK plug caps and find the proper grommets for the valve covers they'd sell a ton of them just for people wanting to do preventative maintenance or those that have the dumb "resistor in cap" models. That reminds me, I didn't and I don't think OldOkie ever checked my caps to see if they had resistors that needed to be bypassed - then again I shouldn't sell him short. He recently picked up a Turbo 500 and he's got his hands full because if you knew him you'd know he's a stickler for things being exact, that's why I felt so confident in him doing some of the mechanical work on mine.

Let's see - he sold his GL650i and his BMW, I think all he has is 500s now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.