Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the 1980 CX500 have a fuel filter or strainer inside of the tank? I removed the petcock and could not see anything. But there must be some type of fuel filter in place, I hope.

Bill in Ohio 1980 CX500 1982 CB900C

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts
They all should but if you don't have one then it has been taken out. But you shouldn't rely on it because a filter on the outside is better.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Regularly change the in line filter (outside the tank). as they get clogged up, you can get fuel starvation at higher speeds.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The parts diagram shows a screen in the tank, so I go to my Honda dealer and buy one. It will not even begin to fit through the opening. Double checked part number and it is the right number. Has anyone else replaced the screen inside the 1980 CX500 fuel tank?

Bill in Ohio 19080 CX500 1982 CB900C

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
If past memory serves me correctly, that screen is a tight fit into the petcock hole. You almost have to force/squeeze it in. Now if it is obviously way too big, you have other problems. Maybe a wrong part in the correct envelope. Are you sure the original has been taken out? They are usually a whitish color plastic. I have had good result using a Easy Out gently turned into the filter to extract it. Just don't pound it in, hold it in your fingers and then pull it out.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll give it another look to see if there is an old one stuck up in the tank. It just didn't seem the replacement would even fit through the opening though. Once I get the tank off I'll post an update.

Bill in Ohio 1980 CX500C 1982 CB900C

1 - 8 of 8 Posts